I've Lost My Only Way (19)

{ this chapter includes themes of domestic abuse, please don't read if you're sensitive/triggered by those topics. stay safe <3 }

*AUTUMNS POV*

Ever since Sid told me he loves me I've been so torn. Sid's always been there for me, since we were kids. He was always the one to pick me up when I'm feeling down. Always looking after me and when my friends kicked me out of our shared house he let me live with him without thinking twice. He's done more for me than I can imagine anyone ever doing.

But he's like a brother to me. It just wouldn't feel right to date him, a part of me does love him. But just not in the same way he loves me.

Corey on the other hand, is funny, sweet but also scary. He's hurt me, not only emotionally but also physically. But I can't help forgiving him. To make it worse he's married to a complete bitch of a woman. Who he won't divorce.

Maybe Sid really is the better option.

"What're you thinking about?" I snap my head up to see Jim sat opposite me. I just shrug,
"Nothing in particular." It's evident that I'm lying but Jim doesn't push it. He looks towards me as my phone goes off, looking down I see I have a text from Corey.
(C) come up, we need to talk.
I feel a sudden uneasy feeling and Jim watches me as I shift nervously in my chair before standing up.

"Everything okay?" he asks me. I nod,
"Yeah, I'll be upstairs." I tell him, before heading up to see Corey.

As I place my hand on the cold, worn banister numerous thoughts and scenarios play through my mind. What does Corey want? Is he drunk? Have I done something wrong?
When I finally reach the top of the stairs I take a deep breath before pushing my bedroom door open, of course Corey would be in here.

It doesn't seem that he noticed me come in and I watch as he moves softly around the room looking at photographs I have placed on my desk and various drawings and paintings I have done.
"Having fun?" I finally decide to speak. This makes him jump slightly and he looks at me, I watch as a smile forms on his lips and he pats the space beside him on my bed.
Joining him he rests his head on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry," he says.
"What? Sorry for what?" I ask and he removes his head for a second and our eyes meet,
"For everything. For hurting you, for hurting Sid. Hell, I'm even sorry for fucking up Lucas." I don't reply. I just watch him. I feel his hand on my cheek,
"I don't mean to hurt you. I don't want to. Ever."
"I know. I know you don't." I tell him. My tone is soft, gentle and he smiles slightly as he hears me say this.

*
"I don't- I don't wa- okay...okay...fine." Corey's on the phone to Rachel, I watch and see how stressed he's getting, running his hand through his hair, pacing around his room. For the first time, Corey let me see his house and let me tell you, it's a mess.
"No- Pl- Please don't- I don't-" I give him a sympathetic look as his eyes begin to appear glassy. He throws his phone across the room and lets out a frustrated groan before falling back on his bed, sitting with his head in his hands.

"Hey, hey, it's okay," I say softly, he turns to look at me and instead of the kind face I expected, he looks angry. He frantically shakes his head,
"No, no, no, you don't understand, this can't be happening," his voice is panicky and full of dread.
"What can't be happening? Corey, tell me what's going on." He watches me say this and sighs heavily.
"She's coming here, right now." He states. I feel my eyes widen. "So you need to either hide or get out somehow without her seeing you on her way here." His voice is shaky, why is he so afraid of her?

Without thinking I rush to get up and find myself in his walk in wardrobe. Before I close the door I feel him take my hand,
"Whatever happens, don't come out until she's gone, okay?" I nod and he gives me a small thankful smile and shuts the door.

I jump as I hear the front door slam shut and things dropping on the floor. I feel my heart hurt as I prepare myself for what to expect as I hear her storming up the stairs.
As she enters the room all I can hear is her muffled voice, even when I lean against the wall I can't hear clearly. I don't hear Corey speak at all and that's when another thing falls. She raises her voice this time,
"Answer me, now!" This fills me with dread, what is she going to do?
Their voices return to normal volume again and I start to relax a little. But that's when I hear it. I hear the sharp sound of a slap and my eyes widen. Did he just hit her?

That's when it begins, the crashing, the falling, the shouting. Tears stream down my face but there's nothing I can do. I have no phone service, and I don't have the courage to leave the room.

But when I hear Corey cry in pain, I don't think twice when I exit the room.
"Get off him. Now." I say in a low voice. Rachel just laughs at me,
"Or what, bitch?"
"Don't call her that." Corey growls. My eyes widen, oh Corey don't stand up for me, not now. This obviously infuriates Rachel and she charges at him but I'm quicker and manage to kick her away and that's when Corey makes a run for it. I follow him, my legs frantically leading me downstairs and out of the house. We don't stop. The adrenaline pumping through my veins causes me to speed up and Corey and I manage to run to a far enough place to stop without her finding us.
I lean against a tree, completely lost of breath and Corey slides into the floor.

"What. The. Fuck." I pant.

*
next chapter will be up shortly :) tell me what you think x