Chapter 7- When Love and Friendship Collide

"Oh, Paige! Come, eat with us." Mom's voice could be heard even from my room as she opened the front door.

I rolled my eyes at her before I went back to preparing myself for today.

The fear of being made fun of, was still eating away at me as I combed my hair even though it was practically useless since no one would be seeing it. But, being seen by Paige, I knew I had to look good.

Maybe it was because I liked her a lot more than I believed I did, or because she was going to be the only one from now on, who's going to be seeing me without a paper bag in school.

No matter how degrading it felt, wearing a paper bag to hide my face - it was still comforting in a sense.

"Jade! Paige is here!" I took a deep calming breath before opening my bedroom door and grabbing my back pack from beside the doorframe, before going downstairs.

In the kitchen, mom was cooking pancakes while humming some old song, and Caleb was busy browsing through a file.

But, my eyes didn't stay on my brother and mother, it went directly to the girl sitting at the dining table, looking as perfect as always.

I could feel that today, she wasn't looking as cheerful as always, since she wasn't looking up from the book she was currently reading.

"Good morning." I mumbled to anyone who'd listen. Mom was the only one that looked over her shoulder, to me, and smiled. Caleb and Paige, still had their hands in files and books.

Sighing loudly, I sat down beside Caleb, across from Paige. I couldn't help myself but to stare at the beauty that Paige flaunted without even her knowing.

Her hair - today - looked even more silky than usual - I just wanted to run my fingers in them.

"Dude." Caleb nudged me with his elbow, making me snap out of my daze, as I looked at him. "What?"

"Stop eye-fucking her." He whispered to me, and I couldn't control my cheeks from heating up. "What the fuck are you talking about?" I whispered back, harsher than I had intended to.

He only gave me a knowing smirk which was even more fuel to the fire that was now burning in my cheeks.

"Here you go. Pancakes for my lovely children." Mom smiled as she set the plate full of pancakes in the middle of the table. "And for the beautiful Paige." Paige closed her book and placed it beside the plate that was in front of her, as she raised her head and smiled at mom, who reciprocated.

"Thanks for the breakfast, Mrs. Bryan."

"Oh, please. Call me Olivia, or even Liv for short." I couldn't help but to roll my eyes at my dearest mother.

"So, how was school yesterday?" Mom asked as she sat down beside Paige. Everyone sitting at the table knew who mom was referring to, but I pretended to act oblivious.

Mom sighed before she looked up at me. I ignored her stare, as I placed two pancakes in my own pate and immediately began to eat.

Now, Caleb and Paige, were also staring at me, and I could do nothing else but to answer her stupid question. Of course, it went horribly wrong and everyone made fun of me, and also made me wear a paper bag, but it was also my own decision to wear it.

"It was fine." Mom, already believing my lie, smiled brightly. "I told you, everything will be just fine."

"Yeah." My lips stretched out into a fake smile, and mom went back to her plate, just like Caleb, who had already eaten more than any of us.