Chapter 14: A Les or Not a Les...

...That is the question.

I was running. So fast that I was ready to believe that I was the next Flash. I mean, who had time for walking? Not me, that was certain.

Looking around as I ran at the speed of lightning (or so I thought), I searched for the one person that I knew would help me with my dilemma. He knew me best and I knew that he knew the girl I loved the best as well.

He was popular. He knew about all the popular kids, and Paige was one of them.

It was after the bell rang shrilly that I realized that he might be in class or...out of it. Sprinting the opposite way, I was going, I hoped that Tim was where I thought he would be.

The students began to fill the hallways and this was making it harder for me to run to my destination. You know how clichéd bullying goes. A person pushes you, you fall, your stuff falls, in short, everything falls.

I groaned before picking up my bag from the polished floor. I had no time for these idiotic bullies. Laughter was surrounding me, and for a moment I had forgotten my mission because of the way I was reminded of that little accident that had brought all of this on me.

But, then there he was.

Leaning against his locker with his headphones plugged in his ears and his face practically one with his cellphone screen. It was typical of him to not notice his surroundings.

Quickly collecting myself, I jogged towards my best friend, with my breath coming in pants. His eyes only glanced at me at first, before he was smiling towards me with that dopey smile of his. I smiled to myself as I gave him a casual wave. Not wanting to throw my problems on him just yet. Or maybe, I should just throw them on him.

"There is a problem." I panted as I stood in front of him now. His eyebrow raised high as he stared at me bent in half while breathing hard form all the running I did.

Caleb had driven me to school today, and as much as I wanted to know why Paige hadn't been there to pick me up, I couldn't. I didn't have her number, or her address, or her sexual orientation for that matter.

"Do you know if Paige is gay?" Recognition settled itself in Tim's eyes as he connected his eyebrows together, biting his bottom lip. If he was thinking about it that hard, then I assumed that it wouldn't be a good answer at all. "Uh – she did have a boyfriend back in middle school."

I was side-tracked for a moment, as I imagined Paige as a middle-school girl. Sometimes I would forget that Paige and I weren't in the same middle-school. It was a shame though. I would've had more time to be with her. But then, the bitter thought of Paige's middle-school boyfriend twerked its way into the spotlight, stealing it from a 15-year-old Paige, inside of my head.

"Was he hot?" I found myself asking after shaking my previous thoughts away. "How is that even relevant?" Tim asked with a raised eyebrow. I scowled at him, trying to shoo away the urge to smack him across his head. "Everything is relevant when it comes to Paige."

Tim raised his hands up in surrender as he gave me a knowing smirk, "I could pass him as good-looking. Most of the girls then had a huge crush on him."

I squinted my eyes at the revelation before looking around the hallway where students were still staring and laughing at me, as if they had nothing better to do. "We should talk somewhere else." Tim suggested as he saw me shift uncomfortably. I immediately nodded, liking the idea of being somewhere other than here.

Tim guided the way as he got his bag up from the ground before walking in the distance I knew very well. He was taking me to the library, which was great since no one really makes fun of anyone in the library. Maybe, it was because of the fact that people didn't really know the value of silence and books which made them stay away from places that had just that.