Chapter 3

Warning: Mention of underage drinking and teen partying

The sun had yet to set when Grayson and I started for Portland. Luckily, there was plenty of cloud cover in Pines, so we didn't have to worry about sunlight.

"What does it do to you?" I asked Grayson while I looked over towards the setting ball of fire. He didn't answer. "Does it kill you?"

Again, Grayson refused to respond. I left him alone and he continued to drive down the highway towards the party in Portland.

We rode mostly in silence, except for a brief call from Margot telling us to "get here quickly because there's a drunk guy putting on quite a show," just enjoying one another's company. Grayson placed his hand on the arm rest. I reached my hand over and grabbed it.

"Your not the only one who can flirt." I said with a wink.

"Are you flirting with me?" He asked.

"I guess so." I said, my response laced with laughter. "Is your brother coming?"

"Don't think so. Why?"

"Just asking. It's not like I'm starting to like Ethan more then you or anything." I said in a falsely suspicious voice. Grayson seemed to know I was joking by the smile displayed across his face, but his jaw was clenched, signaling anger.

Another long stretch of silence filled the car as we neared the Portland exit. The sun was fully set by now, and the city lights could be seen from the back road Grayson was driving us down towards the party.

"Turn here I think." I said as we drew closer to a side road that seemed to lead down to the commotion up on the beach. Gray complied, and drove down the road towards the party. He pulled his black Mercedes into an empty plot of sand and parked.

In front of the car was the party. Teens who clearly had too much to drink were passed out and sprawled across the beach. Patches of sand were stained yellow from vomit. Girls danced around in a manor that almost proved they were intoxicated. Boys watched them with a keen eye.

"Are you sure about this?" Grayson asked looking over to me with a worried expression.

Truthfully, I was in no way sure about this party. My gut told me to go home and stay there, but I'd made Grayson drive me all the way out to Portland and I very well couldn't tell him to drive me home. Plus, I'd never partied before and a new experience would be great.

"Of course I'm sure." I said, feigning confidence. I smiled at my boyfriend. Gray smiled back and we both got out of the car and walked towards the beach hand in hand.

The smell of alcohol was very prominent, and the acidity of the stench burned my nostrils causing them to flare. Grayson looked uncomfortable too, probably even more so then me since his senses were so heightened.

"We should find Margot." Said Grayson straining to keep his voice louder then the party music playing in the background. I nodded and pulled out my phone to call my friend.

The line rang a few times before I looked up towards the dance floor only to find Margot dancing around crazily.

I grabbed Grayson's wrist and pulled him towards the girl. "I found her." I said.

"What's up guys!" Margot said when she finally caught sight of us. Her words were slurred and her frame was slumped over on a random guys shoulder. There was no way to predict how wasted Margot was until the stink of her breath wafted over towards Grayson and I.

Taking a step forwards and grabbing my friend under the shoulders and scooping her up so that she could walk better, I led Margot over towards the girls bathrooms. Grayson helped to her Margot there of course, but he couldn't go into the bathroom with me to help clean her up.

I placed my friend up on top of a sink. She mumbled some strange things and had a few mini blackouts before I could find Margot something to drink. There was a vending machine in the changing stalls towards the back of the building where I bought the girl a Gatorade.

"Drink this." I said after I unscrewed the liquids cap.

"What is it." Said a drunken Margot.

"Vodka."

"You get one too." Margot said while she laughed and pointed at my chest.

"Alright," I began. "Don't drink any until I get back."

"Oh I promise!" She said while giving a pinky swear to herself.

I went back to the vending machine, and bought my own Gatorade.

"Bottoms up." I said before Margot and I took a swig of the drink.

The green sports drink tasted foreign. In no way did it resemble the fruity taste I remembered. Margot's drink seemed to have tasted fine, but then again she was probably to drunk to care.

Despite the odd taste, I finished the Gatorade and so did Margot. Since Bruce, who was no where to be seen, had taken Margot to the party, there was no way for her to get home. So, Grayson and I prepared a nice pallet with blankets and towels in the back seat of the car. The windows were tinted and the car alarm was on full blast so there was no way anyone could take advantage of my unconscious friend.

"I thought this was supposed to be a laid back party." Grayson said as we pushed our way through crowds of drunk teens. I shrugged and picked up a coke from a cooler.

"I thought so too."

I downed the soda extremely quickly hoping to drain the still lingering, putrid taste of the Gatorade I'd drank half an hour ago.

After making it out of the large group of teens, Grayson and I made it to the coastline where we sat on a blanket that had already been laid out in the damp sand. To the left of us were a boy and a girl who were passionately making out.

I looked out towards the water and the city lights beyond the horizon. Grayson wasn't enjoying the view, but instead was staring at me.

"What?" I asked with a smile. I turned to face my boyfriend.

"Nothing." He said with a blush. "It's just even amongst this chaos, I feel serenity with you. I..."

Gray continued to speak, but his words become warped into incoherent gurgles. I smiled and nodded, slowly beginning to panic on the outside.

I was so out of it that I almost didn't notice Grayson excuse himself from my presence and walk towards a shadowy figure huddled out on the edge of the woods.

QOTD: Why do you read my books?