Chapter 18

I backed away from the soda machine slowly. The hairs on the back of my neck peeked up from my skin. Something whizzed by my head sending me flying into the drywall. I tried to get up and scream for help, but the vampires hand was already wrapped tightly around my neck.

"This is is for Morrigan." The vampire said picking me up with one hand and throwing me across the store. I landed with a crash somewhere in the ice cream isle.

Even amongst the chaos, I thought of what the vampire had said. Morrigan was one of the Shifters who tried to kill me about a year ago. Morrigan was dead, but maybe her legacy hadn't quite given up.

I was barely given time to recover from the sudden blow before I was picked up and tossed up into the ceiling. I screamed in pain when gravity took affect on my body and I was slammed into the tile floor. I wasn't sure how extensive my injuries were at this point, but my vision was spotted and I could taste blood running down my nose.

Again, the vampire picked me off the floor with a hand wrapped tightly around my throat. With each squirm, they would tighten their hand bound to my neck. I tried to kick myself free. I flailed my arms around like crazy. Still nothing, and my vision was going black.

The vampires eyes were growing redder every passing second. Whoever the vampire, they were absolutely frightening. It's skin was peeled back around the eyes and mouth. His fangs were on full display, coated with blood. Their breath smelled like death.

The vampire jerked me to the left pressing my back against the front windows of the store. "You're blood smells delicious." The vampire said sniffing around my shoulders. "I'm sure Grayson will break at the sight of his lovers mass of mangled limbs.

"Who's Grayson?" I managed to squeak out. The vampire flipped me around so that my face was pressed against the window.

"Liar!" He said slamming my face into the glass. By now, my vision was barely there. Once more, the vampire had my face pressed up against the window ready to slam my face.

Something flashed by the front of the store. The vampire didn't seem to have noticed, he was too preoccupied with killing me.

It flashed by again. This time I caught a glimpse of tanned skin and purple dip dyed hair.

"Isla?" I asked out loud to myself.

A body crashed through the front window, and I was surprised it wasn't mine.

"Let her go!" They said uninjured by the shattered glass caught in their hair and covering their clothes.

The vampire laughed while lessening the grip on my throat. "You're all protecting her I see. Well, isn't that sweet." The vampire threw me across the room once more. I slid across the tile slicked up by my own blood. I picked up my heavy head and looked out towards the vampire and the body that had came crashing through the front of the store.

It was Isla. The girl from the train was fighting off a huge, strong vampire.

She can't be...I said in my head.

My question was answered when Isla stared into the vampire's eyes. He suddenly ceased fighting and began slamming himself into the brick wall. After a couple of whacks, he entire body shattered like glass.

Isla had to be a vampire.

Once she was sure the evil vampire was dead, I saw Isla approach me through my blurred vision. I strained to stay awake, but there was a strange voice in my head telling me to go to sleep. And I did.

******************************

I couldn't remember dreaming, or even falling asleep for that matter. So when I woke up in a strange building surrounded by people I didn't know, I went completely barbaric.