Chapter 12

Another few weeks gone, the summer was dwindling away. It was August, a month or so after I'd last seen Grayson and a month until school. It was a rainy day, a Sunday, and I was alone again, just like every other day. Billy said I'm depressed, but it's more then that, I'm empty.

I sighed as I dragged myself out of bed. I was two o'clock, and I'd just woken up. My sleep schedule was all over the place, insomnia had definitely sat in.

I looked into the mirror. My eyes were dark and watery. My skin was almost grey and my hair a mess an the top of my head. I didn't care though, nothing really matters without Gray.

There was a knock on my bedroom door. "I'm worried about you Em," said Billy leaning up against the door frame.

"Why?" I asked though I clearly knew why Dad was concerned.

"You never leave the house. You haven't seen Margot in weeks."

"I know, that's why I'm going to see her now."

"Dressed like that?" Billy asked.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I said while forcing a smile. "We're just going to watch a movie or something. Maybe do each other's hair."

"Okay."

I looked back towards the mirror. Billy's footsteps faded out down the hallway.

I wasn't going to Margot's, not a chance. I didn't need someone constantly questioning why I'm so upset or why I'm not over Grayson yet. I grabbed my eyes and headed down to the garage, grabbing my umbrella on the way out.

I drove around for awhile, out on the outskirts of town stopping at on old convenient store for a quick snack. The rain had let up, and it was sunny now.

I told myself it wasn't a good idea and that I shouldn't do it, but I convinced myself to stop by Grayson's house and check it out. After all, it'd been about one and a half months since my last visit. The porch probably needed some cleaning.

I got back in my car and drove towards his house, speeding along the way. I suppose if Pines were a more populated city, I would've been stopped by the law enforcement and promptly given a ticket.

I pulled into his driveway, and my heart began pounding in my chest. When Grayson's house finally came into view, I found myself thinking that he would come running out and greet me with a kiss. He didn't.

The house was just as I'd left it, in one piece and still beautiful. I smiled, and got out of my car. I walked towards the front door, grabbed the house key from the key ring, unlocked the door, and went inside.

It was cold, colder then usual anyway. I slipped off my rain coat and left it by the door. I went up the stairs and straight up to Grayson's room.

I'd been in there last time I visited and everything was just as I'd left it. The book Grayson was reading, Romeo and Juliet, was open. But not on the page I'd left it.

I distinctly remember, Grayson had left on the page with Romeo and Juliet still alive. Now, the book was open to their death scene.

How oft when men are at the point of death
Have they been merry! which their keepers call
A lightning before death: O, how may I
Call this a lightning? O my love! my wife!
Death, that hath suck'd the honey of thy breath,
Hath had no power yet upon thy beauty:
Thou art not conquer'd; beauty's ensign yet
Is crimson in thy lips and in thy cheeks,
And death's pale flag is not advanced there.
Tybalt, liest thou there in thy bloody sheet?
O, what more favour can I do to thee,
Than with that hand that cut thy youth in twain
To sunder his that was thine enemy?
Forgive me, cousin! Ah, dear Juliet,
Why art thou yet so fair? shall I believe
That unsubstantial death is amorous,
And that the lean abhorred monster keeps
Thee here in dark to be his paramour?
For fear of that, I still will stay with thee;
And never from this palace of dim night
Depart again: here, here will I remain
With worms that are thy chamber-maids; O, here
Will I set up my everlasting rest,
And shake the yoke of inauspicious stars
From this world-wearied flesh.

A shiver went down my spine.

Something, perhaps glass, fell over downstairs.

I wasn't alone.