Chapter 19

Adrian drove us down the highway. The town was by the coast like Isla had said and the road we were on ran along the edge of a cliff high above the churning sea below. Behind us we Winterhaven, perched high on a rock where the wind blew fiercely.

I looked over to Isla who was rummaging in her pocket for something. I wasn't surprised when she pulled out a cigarette and a lighter.

"Please not in my car," Adrain said once he heard the click of the lighter. Isla stopped and looked up to Adrian's reflection.

"I'm going to smoke this cigarette," she said. Isla now had firm eye contact with Adrian's mirror image.

"Alright you can smoke it!" He exclaimed defeated. Isla smirked and lit the cigarette that dangled between her lips.

"Wow Isla," began Kyle who had turned his orientation so that he was now facing me and Isla, "using your powers for a light. I'm impressed."

"Shut up Kyle."

The boy put his hands up in a way that read 'I surrender.'

"So you can control people's thoughts and actions?" I whispered to Isla.

I thought she would want to whisper back but instead the vampire girl answered in a normal voice. "More or less. It's just a suggestion. Some people can resist it though, like your boyfriend. Mainly those who are strong minded and stubborn." Adrain glared back at Isla.

"Try it on me," I suggested.

"No!" Kyle butted in. "Grayson would have our heads."

"C'mon Gray is not that intimidating." I said. Isla grimaced.

"He's the boss of this entire operation." Kyle said plainly.

"What operation? To get me out of Pines or something?"

"That's just a small portion of the picture."

"Then tell me the rest."

"Again, Grayson's the boss and is your boyfriend so he'll probably want to explain the whole situation himself."

I sighed. "Then get me to him as fast as possible."

"There's this thing called a speed limit so no, I cannot get you to Grayson 'as fast as possible.'" Adrain said.

"Smart ass," I whispered. Isla snorted.

*******************************

The rest of the drive was long and seemed to span over a length of years. It took everything I could not to ask "Are we there yet?" or "How much further?" every three seconds. At the moment, we were stuck in traffic.

"Can you see anything up there, Ky?" Isla asked.

"No," he said. "No sign of a wreck or anything."

Then a phone rang.

I thought for a second that it was my cell that was ringing but once I recognized the ring tone as Nikki Minaj's Anaconda, I knew it wasn't.

"Hello." Kyle said into his phone. I could faintly hear the person on the other line. They sounded frantic.

"We have her, yes." Responded. There was a minute of silence on Kyle's end. The only voice was whoever was on the other line.

"Yes we're stuck in traffic now." Another pause. "There doesn't appear to be, no."

More silence. Finally, worry began to sprout on Kyle's face. "Oh my gosh," he practically shouted. "We're leaving right now."