Chapter 30

My eyes fluttered open slowly. It felt as if my eyelids weighed a ton. Blood was rushing to my head and my arms were dangling above my head.

I was hanging upside down.

I began to panic. My first instinct was the wiggle myself free from the restraints around my feet. However I looked down, well up rather, and noticed I was hanging from the grand chandelier over the main foyer. The hard, marble floor was maybe thirty feet below me.

I used all of my core strength to swing myself towards the balcony that overlooked the foyer. It was a good twelve feet away and I knew, there would be no way I could reach it.

"Don't struggle," a strange male voice said from the balcony. His accent was strange, a sort of mix of Italian and Irish. I couldn't see his face; he was concealed by the shadows. "My dear Emily."

"Who are you?" I asked carefully trying to pinpoint that exact location of where the voice was coming from.

The strange man scoffed at me and laughed a little. "I," he began, "am the Puppeteer."

The vampire stepped out of the shadows displaying a horrid face. The Puppeteer's skin was waxy and clammy, and his red eyes were frenzied. There was something uniquely terrifying on each of his grotesque features.

"Who?" I questioned.

"You're utterly intriguing," the Puppeteer whispered in a singsong voice. "You're not afraid?" I didn't reply. He let out a great, burly laugh. "Of course you're afraid. You are mortal after all."

The chandelier above my head began to creak a little. I looked towards my feet. They were slowly slipping out of the restraints that held me high above the unforgiving ground.

"If you're using me as bait for Grayson don't even think he's going to come to save me."

I vampire didn't reply with words. Instead, he stared me down even harder than he had been previously.

Suddenly, my left arm jerked down to my side followed quickly by the left. My knees began to bend causing the chandelier to creak even louder.

I tried to fight the involuntary movements, but the more I resisted, the more painful the moments became and the harder the stare-down from the Puppeteer grew.

"How are you-" I managed to croak out before I felt and invisible hand around my throat.

"I am the Puppeteer." The vampire said as if it should've been obviously. He seemed very eccentric and would wave his arms around a lot as he spoke. "Think of a marionette. They can't move on their own. They need a little assistance."

My eyes felt as if they were being squeezed out of my head. There was an unexplainable pressure in my gut and a sharp kick in my chest. I screamed out in agony.

"Don't fight it!" Screamed out the Puppeteer. "You'll die slower, more painfully."

"Stop." I managed to say. My voice was muffled though by the imaginary hand around my throat.

Another stabbing pain in my chest and stomach. My body began to fold backwards. I could feel it the ligaments in my torso stretching and breaking.

The chandelier creaked again. It began to slowly fall out of it's place on the ceiling. A rain of plaster descended upon me.

The chandelier completely dislodged itself from the ceiling. I began to fall down, down towards the hard marble floor below. I knew that I would be dead upon impact.

Ten feet...

Two feet...

One foot...

The shattering sound of the chandelier. But I was out of harms way, somehow floating above the ground like I was attracted to some sort of invisible string. Like I was a marionette. The Puppeteer had denied me a quick and merciful death in order to continuously hold me under his control.

"He killed Morigan, my sweet Morigan." The Puppeteer shouted out to me. I was staring to hear his voice. It was muffled by my screams.

The invisible throats that had been restricting me from breathing was no longer there. Instead, there was a ringing in my ears and constant banging on my ear drums. The Puppeteer was trying to deprive me of my senses.

"She was my lover. My reason to externally walk on this earth." The vampire added.

"Morigan deserved to die."

There was a sudden lash at my stomach like someone was beating me with a whip. Again and again across my torso until I could no longer speak.

"For what killing people? Turning people." The Puppeteer leaned until he was almost hanging over the balcony. He slowly beckoned me forwards with the wave of his hand. My nearly lifeless body drifted over to him. "Your Grayson isn't so pure either. Don't you ever doubt he's never bitten someone before, and that person being unwilling may I add."

I simply knitted my eyebrows together in response. The Puppeteer let out another one of his burly laughs.

"Grayson's the one who made me like this. He made me into a vampire."

I came up with the idea of the Puppeteer long ago. I was never sure if he'd ever find a place in the storyline but here he is!

And thanks to @graciedolan_ for sending me that sweet DM. She DMed and twins on twitter and sent them my story! I don't know if I should be happy, or cringe. But thanks boo! I love people who are trying to get exposure on my stories, it means the absolute world!!!! I would sell my soul to see this series become insanely popular!!!

QOTD: In your opinion, who is the scariest fictional villain out of every book/TV show/movie?

45+ Votes for the next chapter