Chapter 22

I opened the wardrobe Ethan had showed me earlier to find something to wear to the dinner party. Inside the mass of mahogany was an array of designer clothes that I hadn't payed much attention to the first time I looked at the wardrobes contents. After brief deliberation, I opted to dress in a mid length emerald dress, a color that seemed to match the aesthetic of the house perfectly.

Like Grayson had promised, Isla came to help me get ready for the dies mortus. For the last few days I'd known Isla, her dip dyed purple hair was always perfect and her tanned skin flawless. Therefore, I trusted Isla entirely with my makeup and hair style.

"How's this?" The vampire girl asked. Isla had a hand wrapped around a strand of my hair showing me what pinning it up would look like.

"Honestly, everything you've showed me is perfect." I replied with a laugh.

Isla smiled. "How about I surprise you." She turned me around so that I was no longer facing the mirror in front of me. "I'll make up your mind for you."

Surprises weren't always my favorite thing. I guess that spawned from my urge of always wanting to be in control. However, being so close to vampires diminished my thirst for being in charge so I didn't mind being surprised as much as I would've a year ago.

"Alright. I can relax then." I said while playfully sinking down lower into the hard wooden chair.

"Don't get too comfy. It won't take me long. You're already beautiful."

I raised an eyebrow at the vampire who was currently reaching into her pocket for a piece of candy. "What?" She said with a mouth full of chocolate. "I'm just trying to get some brownie points with Grayson. Complimenting His girlfriend is a great way to start."

Again, I raised and eyebrow and joked: "You shouldn't have told me that, Isla. I was staring to think you were actually nice."

"I'm joking. I'd like to think Grayson and I are on good terms."

"He's on good terms with most people. That boy is crazy likable."

"I'm excited for you to meet everyone." Isla said changing the topic. She began pulling and braiding pieces of my brown hair.

"I am too."

We both zoned out and stopped talking for a few minutes. The only sounds that filled the large room was the pitter-patter of a light, dewey rain and the soft hum coming from Isla's lips.

"I didn't have the chance to apologize." Said Isla interrupting my wondering thoughts which were reigned back in like cattle at her words.

"If you're apologizing for Adriana Grayson's already explained it and-"

"No," the girl interrupted. "I'm sorry about all of this."

"For taking me to see Grayson. Don't feel sorry."

"No, I, I don't feel bad for bringing you to Grayson." The vampire sighed. "It's just, you're a mortal tangled up in the web of the vampire realm. Doesn't that terrify you?"

I floundered my gaze about the room before anchoring my eye sight on Isla. "No." I replied.

"But it should. You should be terrified."

"I am, but I say I'm not." I replied with a laugh. "I made the decision to be with Grayson. I'm ready for the consequences."

"You may be," Isla began, "but Grayson isn't."

She tugged on my hair. I let out a yelp.

"He's going to have to."

"Not if there's a way he doesn't have to."