Chapter 26

I walked down the wide corridor out to the staircase that ascended into the garden. The morning air was alive with the sounds of birds chirping merrily through the trees. There was a slight breeze flowing past me.

I strutted past the outskirts of the garden, stopping once or twice to smell the flowers. It was a glorious morning, except for the fact that the sun wasn't out. Most of the time, I didn't mind the cloudiness and raininess of the Pines area. But today, I wanted to see the sun. Perhaps it was because I was sad about Grayson, or maybe the lack of sunshine caused headquarters the seem more ominous than unusual.

I pushed the large wooden door open with a creek. I expected no one to be on the other side since the door from the garden led into a foyer. However, about thirty vampires turned their heads to face me whilst I walked into the fully occupied room.

All eyes were on me.

Quietly, I crept down the short flight of stairs to stand with everyone else. From what I could see of the crowd so far, the only vampire I recognized was Ambria. She sent me a sweet smile and waved me over to her.

Slowly, the crowds chatter began to pick back up and I was no longer the only object of attention.

"Hey girl," she greeted me happily. Her beautiful, thick hair was tied back into one massive ponytail.

"Hey," I replied simply.

"You're sad about something aren't you?" I looked to Ambria with an inquisitive gaze. "Oh right. You don't know yet. I can see emotions."

I replied with a laugh: "See emotions?"

"Yeah I know it sounds kind of strange. Each emotion has a different color to it. Like for example I knew you were sad because once I looked into your eyes, a blue halo appeared around your head."

"Oh really? That's amazing. Must come in handy a lot huh?" I managed to stutter out. The idea that someone seemingly so human could have such an innate ability was mind boggling.

"Sometimes." Ambria laughed. "I'd make one hell of a detective, don't you think?"

I nodded in reply. "So, what time does training start?"

"Soon. Look, there's Grayson now."

Ambria pointed up to Grayson who was descending the side stairway along with Ethan, Nate, Kyle, and Jess, the girl from the performance the night prior.

Gray looked glorious in the pale candle lighting. His hair laid perfectly on his head. He looked out to the crowd, Grayson's face displaying an extremely gratuitous and humbled look. All of these vampires were here fighting with my boy.

"Good morning everyone, I trust you all slept well?" Grayson's voice beamed out to the crowd.

A few of the Old Age vampires (whom don't sleep) rolled their eyes at Gray's playful banter.

He continued. "We've received word that the enemy is preparing an attack to knock out the rebellion before it can truly begin."

There was a serious of collective gasps from the crowd. Even Ambria's calm demeanor seemed to melt away a bit.

"So the Volturi know where we are?" A random male voice called from the left of me.

"Not at the moment, no," Nate cut in. "But we don't want to risk discovery. That is why your consul has decided to implement a series of new regulations."

There was a chorus of groans from the crowd.

Ambria turned to me. "We're already not supposed to be out past eleven. Hunting is kept strictly regulated as well."

"Settle down!" Jess shouted. For such a tiny girl, she sure had a strong voice. The crowd immediately bent to her will.

"You know I hate restricting you, but it must be done. All me and your consul to keep everyone safe." Said Grayson. "Ethan, could you announce the new rules?"

"Sure," Grayson's twin chirped. "New ordinances are as follows: Hunting will be regulated to the night hours only. No more than three candles per room may be lit after sundown. And thirdly, I regret to inform you that no in is allowed to leave the premises until the mole is caught and put on trial."

I whispered to Ambria, "So there's a mole? Someone told the Volturi about headquarters?"

"Apparently." The vampire replied. We both altered our attention back up to the consul.

"Any questions?" Grayson asked. No one said anything. "Good. Training us canceled for today incase we need to save our strength for something bigger. Meeting is adjourned. You are all dismissed."

I was thoroughly impressed by Gray. He was standing before an intimidating crowd and yet, his will stayed strong and never wavered. I remembered in that moment, the reason I fell in love with him.

Grayson must've felt my intense gaze because he too looked over to me. He gestured his head towards the upwards stairwell. I look it that he wanted me to follow him.

"I'll see you later Ambria," I said waving my new friend goodbye. She smiled back.

My feet moved me swiftly up the marble staircase to Grayson. He was waiting at the top for me. His expression was stern, yet there was a certain softness in his eyes.

"I'm sorry," Gray whispered as soon as I stood next to him. He pulled me into his chest.

"Me too. I shouldn't have went off on you last night. Things are just stressful that's all-"

Grayson cut me off with a kiss to the lips. He lifted me off my feet by the waist. I wrapped my legs around his torso as he leaned me up against the cool marble wall.

"What was that about?" I pulled away gasping.

"Can I tell you something serious?"

"You can tell me anything."

"I need to get you out of here. I thought headquarters would be safer than Pines but I was wrong. I'm sorry I put you in danger, again."

"It's my fault too you know? I just can't get away from you."

I leaned forwards to kiss Grayson once again. In that moment, there was no way we could've been closer. My legs snaked around his waist, one of his hands tangled in my hair.

"If I had a heart, it'd be racing right now." Uttered Gray.

I smiled, and we kissed again.

QOTD: What do you think I look like and what do you think my personality is like?

40+ Votes for the next chapter

FOLLOW CONTEST POSTED ON MY MESSAGE BOARD!!!!