Chapter 7

Billy was busy the entirety of the rest of the week. I expected Grayson to stop by during the day time, but he never did. Today was the end of my grounding, so I had my car keys and electronics back.

I tried to call Grayson. Nothing. I texted Ethan, but he didn't pick up either. I even called their landline. Still nothing but the response of the answering machine. I called again, but this time left a message.

"Hey Grayson. I'm not grounded anymore. I was thinking we could go to lunch today? I hope nothing's happened to you. I really want to see you. Uhh..." My voice trailed off. I wasn't exactly sure what to say. "Anyways I'm coming over to pick you up I guess. I miss you. Call me."

I hung up and held my cell phone close to my chest.

"Was that Grayson?" Billy asked walking in from the kitchen with a Budlight clutched in his hand.

"It was his answering machine."

"So he ignoring you now?" Billy asked flipping on the TV to the local fishing channel.

"No. At least I hope not."

"I'm joking. Why are you holding your car keys?"

I looked down to the left hand where my car keys were tightly wrapped in my fingers. "I was going to pick Gray up and take him to lunch."

"I thought you said he didn't answer the call?"

"He didn't, but we've been planning to hangout a lot this summer so he should be home."

"Okay but don't blame me when he says your too clingy."

I rolled my eyes and walked towards the front door. "Mhm okay dad. I'll be home in a few hours."

He was sipping his beer and waving me off when I left the house. I hopped into my new car that Grayson bought me and sped off down the highway towards his house.

The private road that led to Grayson and Ethan's house seemed to stretch on forever. I glanced down at my phone and noticed that I hadn't received any texts or calls from the boys. I sighed. I stopped the car in front of their mailbox and reached inside grabbing everything from its depths.

Parking the car in their driveway, I noticed that the home didn't have its normal glow. The porch light that was almost always on wasn't and all of the future that usually sits on their front porch was missing. The house seemed dead.

I walked up the path to the front door and knocked. I waited for a response. Just like the phone calls, there wasn't one.

I rung the door bell this time, still nothing.

"Grayson!" I screamed out, my voice straining and cracking. I banged on the window and stomped down on the wooden front porch trying to make as much noise as possible.

Out of rage, I kicked over a pot that sat to the left of the door. It shattered, but in the mass of broken porcelain was a key. I picked up the small artifact and examined it carefully.

It was a spare key. I slowly unlocked the front door and walked inside.

"Madeleine? Are you here?" Like I expected, no response. "Is anyone here?"

I began to cry. Grayson had left me. I was worried for his and my own safety. The Volturi knew about me, and I was concerned. Grayson had said their not concerned with human life so who's to say with my boyfriend gone they won't attack?

Not wanting to intrude more than I already had, I slipped the spare key into my back pocket and walked back out through the front door.

"They left a few days ago." A shaky female voice said from behind me. I spun around to see an elderly women in her late seventies standing in the front yard.

"Who are you?" I asked. This women couldn't be a vampire could she?

"I'm Lisa. My husband and I live a mile that way." She pointed in the direction I assumed to be east. "Do you know that family well?" She asked.

"I'm Emily. And yes. Do you?"

Lisa smiled. "I know the boys very well."

A crash of thunder erupted off in the distance. I got so scared that I jumped. "I think that's my cue to leave. It was nice to meet you Lisa."

"You too sweat heart." I smiled and scanned the driveway. The women didn't seem to have a car.

"Do you need a ride home?" I asked the stranger. She just smiled and shook her head.

"Stay safe." I said as I hopped into my car and drove away. Just as I turned a corner, I looked back to Lisa. She was standing in the front yard staring up at the house.

"Weirdo." I said to myself.

It was about 12:00 and I was ready for lunch. I decided to stop at La Flora and get my meal to go so that I could take something home to Billy.

I walked through the front door and was greeted my Evelyn.

"Emily!" She said with a wide smile. "Long time no see." We both hugged one another.

"How have you been? How's online school?" I asked. Evelyn shrugged.

"Alright I guess. How's everything with you?"

"Pretty good. I'm coming back from my boyfriends house."

She arched an eyebrow. "Boyfriend?"

I smiled. "Yeah I'm dating Grayson."

Evelyn's face flushed and her smile melted away along with the rosy glow in her cheeks.

"Nate's child?" She asked. I nodded. Evelyn forced a smile. "Good for you."

I could tell she was lying, but I didn't want to force anything out of her.

"You know what I came in here for." I said. "I'll take two number sevens to go please."

"And some fried Oreos?" She said with a wink.

"Please."

I waited a few minutes for my food and when it was finally done, I thanked Evelyn and ran outside through the rain to my car.

I drove home listening to the sound of raindrops hitting the windshield. For a brief moment, my thoughts drifted away from Grayson, but they returned to him just as quickly as they had faded away.

I was going to check back at his house tomorrow.

QOTD: Least favorite character and why?