Chapter 6

Grayson and I stayed in my room just talking until about one o'clock. Dad was on a fishing tour today and wouldn't be home until about six so Grayson and I had the entire day to spend together.

Billy had taken my car keys and my cell so that I wouldn't be able to drive away or call my friends to escape punishment. He did keep the landline connected but blocked all numbers from calling except his own. Of course, he had no idea about Grayson and his abilities.

"Let's go somewhere." I said, desperate for an adventure."

"You're not supposed to leave the house."

"And your not supposed to be in the house."

Gray smirked. "That's fair. I'll take you out to the piano tree."

"Piano tree." I said with a laugh.

"The one with the piano sitting right under it."

"I know that! It's just piano tree isn't a very original name."

"When you come up with something better, I'd be glad to hear it." He said jokingly.

"Let me just get on my shoes and we can go you your piano tree."

"Actually it's our piano tree, Emily."

"Nah you keep it, what am I supposed to do with a tree anyways?" I asked with a smile. Grayson half laughed.

I slipped on my big yellow rain boats and hopped on my boyfriends back. He slid open the back door and sprinted off into the woods.

It took a long while to reach the piano. A light drizzle had began to fall from that sky. The air was very crisp and the wind almost too wispy for a proper summers day.

I thought Grayson was going to stop and let me off his shoulders but instead hoisted me up higher and held onto me tighter.

"I hope you're not afraid of heights." He said.

"What?" I almost asked, but I wasn't given any time. Gray began climbing up a tall pine tree with me wrapped tightly around his torso.

Once we reached the top of the tree, my hair was a mess and clothes were intertwined with twigs. I didn't bother cleaning myself up because we would have to journey down the tree as well.

Neither of us said anything for awhile, just enjoying one another's silent company.

"We need to talk about what happened in the woods last night." I said to Grayson interrupting his intense focus on the landscape beneath us.

He sighed. "I can't tell you everything you'll want to know."

"But you can tell me something. Grayson they were talking about me. I heard them."

"That doesn't make it your business."

I raised my eyebrow and stuck my tongue against my cheek.

Grayson noticed my expression and immediately took back his statement. "What I mean is...Listen I'm trying to protect you from them."

"From who?" I asked.

"Those people you saw are our government. They're called the Volturi"

"You've mentioned them before. I remember you saying something about them once."

Grayson nodded. "I probably have." He adjusted his seating so that he was facing me full on. "They're not very fond of the New Age or very happy that one of the New became an Old."

"What does it matter. You saved my life. Doesn't that count for something?"

Grayson looked down to his hands. "To me, it means everything. But to the Volturi, human life doesn't have much value. And the New Ages are too close to humans for them to care about."

"Why don't the New start their own government? Mirror the the Volturi only make yourselves better?"

"The Old Age wouldn't stand for it. That's why it has to be a secret."

"What has to be a secret?" I asked skeptically.

"There's a rebellion brewing. Most of us don't like the Volturi's new rules in governing both the Old and New Age."

"Rules?"

"We're not supposed to have unapproved human affiliation."

"So you're apart of that? You're apart of the rebellion?"

Grayson didn't answer. Instead he faced the open landscape before us. An ominous fog cascaded down from the horizon casting a sheet of dread across the entirety of Pines Maine. The city was cast in shadow just as I was cast away from the truth.

A/N: This story has reached #190 in the Vampire category!!! I'm extremely thankful for every single one of you. I love reading all of your sweet sweet comments every morning before school. They definitely brighten up my day!

Speaking of school, it has severely gotten in the way of my editing schedule. I've started a new school recently and homework has become much more prevalent. However, once I better work out my routine, updates on my stories will become much more frequent.

QOTD: How do you think this book will go?

Could someone spread the word about this story on Twitter or any other social media site. I want the Dolan Fandom to rule the world