Chapter 15

I looked closer at the train ticket. It wasn't to a particular place, just a pass for round trip train rides for the next two months. I took this as another sign that I needed to get out. Everything worked out perfectly too, Billy would be gone for awhile on a fishing trip with those Senators. Even if I was still missing when he returned, which I likely would be, it made more sense for me to flee and face future groundings then remain in Pines and possibly die.

I started packing that night. I went under my bed and grabbed a small chest that had emergency money stored inside. Over the years, I'd managed to save over 2,000 dollars in emergency funds. I placed it into a large, black back pack. I went to the bathroom and grabbed some shampoo, soap and other toiletries. I was careful to keep quiet because Billy was downstairs sleeping.

I wasn't sure where I would be headed so I hauled a variety of clothes into the back pack. I quietly grabbed my passport from downstairs too. Pines Maine is a few hours from the Canadian boarder, and the train ticket works in any country for that particular rail line.

I may need some food for the trip too. However, since Billy was sleeping, I described I would get some snacks from the pantry in the morning.

I wasn't afraid, which was a strange feeling. Grayson had told me to run from and flee home, yet I felt no fear. The feeling was more of dread and foreboding.

I got into bed to rest but only got a wink of sleep. When I awoke, my eyes were heavy and burned as the early morning sunlight stung them. From below in the kitchen, I could hear Billy cooking something on the stove.

"Morning Dad," I said walking down the stairs. He smiled up to me with wide awake eyes, quite different then mine.

"Hello." Billy said turning back towards the stove top. He was frying something, probably bacon, in a pan.

"I'll be leaving in about fifteen minutes. I won't be back until a week or so before school starts." Said Billy as he took two plates out of the cabinet.

"Really, that long?" I asked.

He nodded. "The lobbyist is paying me quite a bit. I don't have to pay for boat gas, food, anything. You're welcome to come with me if you want."

"No. I'm okay."

"You've earned my trust over the years to not cause too much trouble when I'm gone." He said with a wink. "If you need anything, I talked to Evelyn the other day about letting you stay with her."

"I'll be alright, thanks dad." He nodded.

Once breakfast was ready, we both woofed it down in seconds. I hadn't had dinner last night and apparently Billy hadn't either. Soon, fifteen minutes had passed and it was time for my dad to leave.

"I'll miss you," I said giving him a hug. Billy climbed into his truck and kissed my forehead through the open window.

"I'll see you in a month or so."

"Okay." I said choking on tears.

I watched as Billy drove off down the driveway towards the harbor. I waved to him and he waved back. Once he was out of sight, I rushed back into the house and packed the last few essentials.

I was about to leave when the phone rang.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Hey Emily, it's Evelyn."

"Oh hey," I said surprised. "What's up?"

"Nothing. I'm not sure if your dad told you or not but I'm supposed to look after you until he gets back."

"Oh yeah, he told me."

"Okay so did you want to do something today together. Maybe go to the movies or something? I don't have work today."

I could feel my face begin to heat up. Should I tell Evelyn about my plans to flee Pines and hopefully find Grayson? I could trust Evelyn to a degree, but she was responsible and older, and would probably tell my dad about my plans. There was always the option of telling the truth about Gray and Ethan, but that didn't seem like a tactical option.

"I'm not sure," I said. The line was silent for s second. I sighed. With a shaky breath I asked. "Can I trust you, Evelyn?"

"That depends," she said with suspicion. "What do you need to tell me?"

I opened my mouth prepared to have the truth spill from my lips, but I stopped myself.

"There's a fancy private college that's having a freshmen orientation. I didn't tell Billy about it because the school is expensive, and didn't want him to feel bad about me getting into the school and not being able to pay for it." I lied.

"Oh, Emily." Evelyn said, her voice full of empathy. "Listen I know how it feels for money to be tight, but you should really tell your dad you won't be at home. It's not safe for a young girl to travel on her own."

Yeah but it's not safe for me to stay here either. I thought to myself.

"But I won't be alone, Grayson's going to be there. He got into the college too."

"Really? I thought the family left."

"They did," I said. "Everyone but Grayson is on vacation visiting family. He's been living on campus this summer."

"God I really hope you're not lying to me. What's the name of the college?" Evelyn asked expected my lie to bundle.

My story wasn't whole lie. I had gotten a letter from a fancy private college in Maine. I looked onto the counter and found the letter.

"It's called Saint Joseph's."

"Okay." Evelyn said defeated. "If you don't get back by the time Billy gets home, you're dead."

I laughed. But little did she know if I stayed in Pines, I'd be dead too.

QOTD: What is your dream vacation destination?