Chapter 24

The next morning I woke up the the sound of a gentle rain. The lack of sun rays penetrating through the curtains was evidence that the sun hadn't risen yet.

I checked my phone. It was six-thirty.

I sighed, and let out an exhausted yawn. I thought that I should call Billy, make sure he wasn't headed home early. Then, I would check up on Evelyn whom I hadn't spoken to since the day I left Pines.

Billy picked up the other line. "Hello." He said.

"Hey, just wanted to check up on you. Has the storm cleared?" I asked trying to stay as unsuspicious as possible.

"Somewhat. It's safe enough to sail. I should be home the week before school starts." Billy let out an awkward laugh. "You know I'm really starting to like this Senator. I may end up voting for him."

"Maybe I will too. After all, I can vote this November."

"Don't remind me. My little girl is going to be eighteen in October. What do you wanna do for your birthday?"

I smiled at Billy's reaction. "I don't know yet. Maybe I can take some friends out on a boat ride."

"That sounds fun," said Billy. "What have you been doing since I left?"

"Nothing much. Watched T.V, summer reading, hung out with Margot and Scarlett." I lied cooly.

"Sounds like your having fun," Began Billy, "Anyways I'll let you go. I'll see you in two weeks. Love you."

"I love you too Dad. See you soon."

I hung up on Billy's call and went straight on to dialing Evelyn.

"It's six-forty-five in the morning what do you want Emily!" Evelyn whispered shouted after the phone rang a few times.

"Sorry Eve," I said stifling a laugh. "I just wanted to call you so you'd know I'm not dead."

"Yeah. Anyways what's up?" She said, yawning.

"Nothing, I'm loving this college." I replied continuing on with the lie I told her the day I left Pines.

Evelyn burst out in laughter. "What?" I asked nervously.

"I know your not at Saint Joseph's." The girl said blatantly.

"What-what that-that's wrong Eve. I would-I would never lie about something like this."

"Really? Listen I was your age, what? 4 years ago? I know you're not visiting a college, Emily. You're with Grayson."

I let out a shaky exhale. "You didn't tell Billy did you?"

"No."

"And you're not going to tell him?"

"I'll make you a deal," Evelyn chirped before yawning. "If you're back in one week, I won't tell your dad."

I sighed. I wasn't sure how long I was supposed to stay at headquarters with Grayson. But, I suppose I'd have to come home sooner or later. Dad wouldn't exactly understand the entire "I could be in danger" situation. After all, being hunted by vampires wasn't something that happened to everyone.

"Okay. I'll be back. I promise I'm safe. Nate and Madeline are watching me."

"Good. I'm going back to sleep. Text me later." Evelyn replied.

"I will."

She hung up the phone causing the line to ring in my ear. I pulled my cell away from my face and through it onto the bed.