Chapter 8: Chimera

Anna sits in a hospital chair with Kira standing in front of her. She is still in her blood clothes and hasn't washed her hands yet.

"Stiles." Melissa walks up to the group as Scott and Liam arrive.

"How bad is it?" Stiles asks as Anna stands.

"Could have been worse." Melissa admits. "Anna, nice job with the tourniquet idea. You probably saved her life." Liam's eyes snap to Anna's shaking form for the first time, as if he just realized she was there. "Alright, she's about to go into surgery. So, it's gonna take a while. Any other supernatural details that I need to know about or do were stitch her up and hope for the best?"

"It was the tail." Kira offers.

"Yeah, Tracy cut her with the tail, if that makes a difference." Scott agrees.

"I-I'm gonna go to the bathroom." Anna whispers, already walking away from the group. Somehow, in all that she has going on, she notices that Liam does nothing to attempt to talk to her or follow her.

That realization makes her feel worse as she reaches the bathroom. She rinses her hands under the cold water, but all she can see is the blood that was once on her hands.

She lets her tears drop silently and doesn't look up when someone walks in. She just keeps scrubbing at her hands, even though they are clean.

"Anna." Scott says from behind her. 

"I'm fine." She croaks out.

"No you're not." He tells her softly.

"No I'm not." She whispers, turning to face him. He wraps his arms around her and she body shakes with sobs.

"What if I wasn't fast enough?" She asks. "What if Lydia's not gonna make it?"

"Lydia is strong." Scott reminds her. "She won't stop fighting as long as you don't, ok?"

Anna nods, agreeing with him on the outside. On the inside, she doesn't believe a word he said. 

*****************

A hand bursts through the dirt and reaches for help. The hand grabs at the dirt and somehow manages to pull up the girl buried beneath. She gasps for breath, neck aching.

She moves her hand to the source of pain and jerks away, feeling blood.

Her head snaps up at the sound of machinery. She forces herself to look back and gasps. Three machine-like men walk towards her, one of them has a cane. 

She manages to get her feet under her and starts to run. She tries to escape the three men chasing her, but the clicking of machines is loud in her ears. 

She trips over a root and looks down to see her ankle twisted in the wrong way and a bone sticking out. She holds back a cry as the men surround her.

"Please don't hurt me." She begs as the one with the cane kneels down next to her. 

"Your condition improves." It states, pulling back.

Anna sits up in her bed, gasping for breath. She instantly gets out of bed and looks around for dirt or the three men in masks. 
When she deems that the room is safe, she grabs her phone. She finds she has a message and decides to listen to it first.

"Hey Anna. It's me." Liam says softly. Anna smiles slightly, his voice calming her down. "Mason needed a wingman tonight and I owed him. I wanted to call to see if you wanted to come with? We're going to a club called Sinema. Ever heard of it? Apparently Hayden works there, so she's gonna let us in." Anna frowns at the girl's name. "Anyway, call me if you need something."

Anna closes her eyes and puts the phone to her temple. She takes a deep breath before calling Liam back.

"Hi, this is Liam. Leave me a message and I'll get back to you. BEEP."

"Hey, Liam. It's Anna." She starts nervously. "Um, I really need to talk to you, so if you could pick up, that's be great. I'm sort of freaking out and I don't know what to do..." She trails off, thinking of how much this message might ruin his fun. "You know what?" She laughs. "It's fine. Don't worry about me. Have fun at the club with Mason. I know he needs it... Call me soon."

She calls again, getting a bad feeling in her stomach. She gets voicemail and is tempted to throw the phone at the wall.

Her phone starts to vibrate and she picks up immediately, without checking who the caller is. "Liam?" She asks hopefully.

"Scott." Scott tells her. "We need your help. You know the entire grade, right?"

"That's more Hannah's thing, but yeah. I know everyone."

"Lucas. Do you know him? We think he might be the next chimera."

"Chimera?"

"It's what we are calling the creatures we find. It's a creature made of incongruous parts- two sets of DNA. In Tracy's case it was kanima and werewolf. This kid, Lucas? We think he's part scorpion."

"Lucas is dating Cory and goes to the club every Friday..." She trails off, dread sinking into her gut.

"Anna?"

"Sinema, that's the club. Liam's there with Mason. You have to get there, now." She says urgently. 

"We will, don't worry."

"How am I gonna get there?"

"You aren't. Sit tight, I'll be home soon." Scott hangs up and Anna sets her phone down grumpily. 

I know this is a super short chapter, I just didn't know what to do with it. Sorry....

In related news, I'm getting a puppy today guys! I'm so freaking excited!

Hope you liked the chapter! Again, sorry it's short.