Chapter 14: Hiding at the School

Anna walks into the locker room with Scott, a bag of chains with each sibling. They both drop the bags in the corner and Scott glances at Liam and Hayden out of the corner of his eye.

Liam hasn't notices them yet as he moves a few lockers in front of an exit. Hayden moves another as Liam looks up and spots the McCalls.

Anna doesn't look in his direction, feeling his eyes on her. Instead she goes over to Lydia and Parrish to mindlessly try and forget about her ex.

Parrish leaves quickly, leaving Lydia to talk to Anna. "Hannah told me what happened." Lydia whispers.

"Yeah, well, I'm fine." Anna grumbles.

"I don't need to hear your heart beat to know you're lying." She laughs. "It'll get better. Don't worry."

Lydia goes over to Scott as a chill hits Anna. She shivers, shaking her head and looking at the vent.

"You cold?" Hayden asks, eyeing her.

"Take my jacket." Liam offers, grabbing a lacrosse hoodie.

"You know," She takes a step back. "My locker's not that far. I'll run and get something."

"Be careful." Scott calls after her as she jogs out of the room. She exhales deeply as she walks to her locker. She grabs Scott's sweatshirt that she keeps in her locker before starting to walk back.

"Anna..." Anna freezes, heart beat going up. "Anna." She hesitantly looks to her right, seeing a dark corridor. She walks forward and finds that she is in an alleyway.

Anna watches as a little girl, probably only six years old, runs into that very same alley. "Daddy!" She screams in fear before hiding behind a dumpster.

Three men walk into the alley. Anna instantly recognizes them as the Dread Doctors. The little girl covers her mouth as they search the alley.

The man with the cane spots the young Anna and they surround her. She screams at the top of her lungs. "Daddy! Scotty!! Help me!" She tries to run away but two of the doctors grab her. She screams as the doctor with the vane pulls out a large syringe.

"No! NO!" Young Anna cries as the syringe nears her neck. She yelps as the syringe is pushed into her neck and a strange liquid starts to pour into her veins. Her screams stop and the doctors let her fall to the ground unconscious.

"Phase one complete." The man with the cane states. "Phase two commencing."

"Anna!" Someone yells her name. "Anna, wake up!"

Anna blinks and she is suddenly back at the school. Malia is staring at her weirdly. "What happened?" Malia demands.

"I-I think I just got my memory back." Anna gulps.

"What happened?"

"Something." Anna mutters. "Something happened."

"If you don't want to tell me, fine. Just get back to your brother." Malia orders, helping her up. 

Anna nods, running back to the locker room. She closes the door and leans against it. Scott's and Lydia's head snap up at the sound as Liam and Hayden just keep talking to each other. "Where were you?" Scott asks, walking over to her.

"Stuck." She tells him. "Stuck in a memory."

*****************

Lydia and Anna sit on the bench as Scott paces. Hayden had fallen asleep on Liam's shoulder and Anna can't bear to look at him. She keeps rubbing her neck, feeling the place where the syringe pierced her skin.