Chapter 18: Not Yet

"Hannah, I swear, I will stay here until Scott comes home." Anna tells her friend over the phone.

"You better." Hannah grumbles.

"I promise." Anna hangs up the phone and looks out the window to see rain pouring down. She closes her eyes as memories come back to her.

"In a minute, Mom." Liam says from behind his door. Anna, soaked from the rain she had to run through to get to this house, knocks again. "Mom, I said--" He opens the door and stops, seeing her. He blinks, confused at her presence.

"Your mom let me in." Anna says, pushing her wet hair off her face. "I-I can leave though..." 

"No, it's ok." Liam lets her into the room, still shocked by her sudden appearance.

"Sorry, I-I didn't really know where else to go." She mumbles shyly. "And I probably look like a mess..." 

"No, you're beautiful." Liam says before actually registering it. His face grows red from embarrassment but that goes away the moment she lets out a laugh.

"Look at you, making up crap for me..." She looks down, shifting on her feet. 

"I'm not, making up crap, that is." Liam stutters. "D-Do you wanna sit down?" Anna nods, sitting on his bed. Before he could say anything else, he spots her puffy eyes as she wipes her face. "Have you been crying?" He asks in concern, sitting next to her. 

"Liam," She whispers, sniffling. "I-I don't know what happened... I just--"

"You can tell me anything, Anna."

Those words echo in her mind as the lights start to flicker. She looks up, suddenly very scared. One thought floats into Anna's mind: They're here.

She goes to open the window so she can escape but gets electrified. She turns back to the door and tenses, seeing the Dread Doctor with the cane.

She tries to back up, even though she knows she can't flee. The doctor walks up to her and grabs her face. She pants in fear as he inspects her. "Your condition worsens." He says.

"B-But I'm not a failure." She tries, eyes darting across the room.

"Not yet." He takes a handful of her hair and exposes her neck. Her eyes widen as her heart rate picks up.

"No, no, no!" She struggles as he brings out a syringe full of liquid. "Help!" She screams. "SCOTT!!"

Her cries for help are heard from across town. When Stiles hears the shouts, his first thought goes to Lydia. Only a banshee can scream that loudly, right?

"Anna!" She hears from outside before everything goes blurry as the Dread Doctor injects the liquid into her blood. He lets go and she looks up at him with scared eyes.

His hand slaps her across the face and she falls to the ground, eyes closing. The Dread Doctor disappears as Scott runs into the room. He is fortunately fast enough to see the masked man disappear.

Scott runs over to Anna and desperately listens for a heart beat. Anna gasps awake and Scott grabs her head. He watches as the silver tone in her eyes wash away to leave her normal light hue. Her eyes finally find his brown ones and she sighs in relief.

Scott wraps his arms around her tightly and reminds himself that she is alive. Anna sniffles in his arms, clawing at his back to make sure he's real and actually there.

"Good job, Scott." Anna's eyes snap up to the empty seat in the corner to see a girl. Anna's mouth parts as the girl disappears into think air.

"Did you see that?" Anna whispers.

"See what?" Scott asks, pulling back.

"The girl." Anna gulps.

"What girl?" He looks back at the chair to see nothing. "There's no one here."

Anna stays silent, looking down at her hands. "I'm gonna die." She gulps. "Aren't I?"

"No." Scott tells her adamantly. "You're not going to die. I won't let you."

"Promise?" She asks, meeting his eyes again.

"Always." He says softly. "I have to go meet Liam, Hayden and Theo at the animal clinic. You are going to stay here where I know you'll be safe."

Anna nods. Despite her feelings towards Hayden, she doesn't want the chimera to die. "Save her, Scott." She tells him as he stands. "I believe in you."

So.... Am I ripping your hearts out? Or just causing you to groan in annoyance? Hope you enjoyed! Next update on Monday!