Chapter 29: So Many

Anna's vision finally clears and she sits up weakly. She sees Lydia pinned to a metal chair with restraints. The banshee gasps awake and pants in fear and pain. All she hears are the screams of others as Anna watches helplessly from the ground. "Hold on a little longer, Lydia," Valack says as he dabs her head wound from when he drilled a hole into her head. "You can make it."

"Get away from her!" Anna hisses.

"I want you to focus on this, Lydia." Valack ignores the girl as he turns a dial on an old frequency emitter. "And whatever sounds you hear now, push them aside. Focus on this sound." Lydia's breathing evens out and Valack smiles. "That's it. Focus on this sound and my voice."

"Get back!" Anna yells again.

"As for you, my little ghost whisperer," Valack grabs something before kneeling next to Anna. "You are going to go ghost hunting for me."

"Why would I do anything for you?" Anna spits.

"You won't have a choice." Valack brings a pair of goggles into view. Anna instantly recognizes them as the ones the Dread Doctors use.

"No." She whimpers, looking for a way out. She starts to scoot backwards in fear. "No, please. Don't—"

"Time to find some ghosts, Anna." Valack grabs her face. She cries out for mercy as he positions the goggles over her eyes. She can feel tiny knives protruding from the goggles before Valack sinks them onto her face.

She lets out a scream and Lydia somehow looks over and is able to focus on the scene before her. "Anna." She breathes as the goggles tear into the girl's skin.

"Keep your eyes open, Anna." Valack instructs.

"I-I can't! Take them off!" She pleads.

"Don't close your eyes or you will become just like them. Just like the Dread Doctors." Valack lies to scare the girl into doing what he wants.

With that motivation, Anna forces her eyes open and, in the process, creates more pain for her. "Make it stop!"

"Not until you tell me what I want." Valack snaps. "Look around, Anna. Who do you see?"

Anna's eyes look through the goggles and they start to glow blue. Men, women, and children roam through the room but she can't focus on them. "I-I—"

"Focus on the old ones," Valack tells her.

"N-No. He said to stop. I have to stop." Anna's voice cracks.

"Who? Who said that?" Valack demands.

"The Beast." Anna breathes. "Sebastien Valet."

"Look for him, Anna. Or anyone he killed or knew." Anna's eyes flicker through the room as she tries to contain her cries of pain.

Her eyes land on a familiar face and her feature scrunch up. "A-Al?" She whispers.

The girl turns around and looks at Anna curiously. "Who is Al?" She asks with a heavy french accent.

"W-Who are you?" Anna manages to ask.

"Marie-Jeanne Argent." She answers proudly.

"Who are you talking to?" Valack asks.

"Help me," Anna begs the woman. "P-please."

"What can I do? I am dead." Marie-Jeanne says sadly.

"Ask about the Beast. Find out who he is!" Valack orders. Marie-Jeanne's expression turns stormy. Anna stays quiet and Valack adjusts the goggles to fit tighter. Anna shouts in pain and Lydia tugs at her restraints.