Chapter 22: Feeling the Pain

"I went to the club, looking for Hayden, and there's Josh," Liam explains as he and Mason walk through the halls. "Standing there, completely alive. Just like Hayden. Because of Theo."

"Theo brought them both back. That's what he's doing." Mason realizes. "He's building a pack. His own pack of dead chimeras."

"They both look pretty alive to me." Liam groans.

"Do you think he brought Anna back?" Mason asks.

Liam goes silent, not acknowledging the thought. The truth is, he's been thinking that from the moment he found Hayden. "There's not the same." Liam continues the conversation, deciding not to give also hope. "There's something about Hayden. There's something wrong about her."

"Maybe that's what dying does to you. What if it, like, darkens your soul? What if they're all evil now?"

"Hey, guys." Corey bursts through the front doors of the school smiling. "You guys volunteering for the library clean up too?"

"Yeah. Yes." Both boys stammer. Corey shrugs and starts to walk towards the library. Liam frowns, catching a familiar scent.

"What?" Mason asks.

"I-I don't know," Liam mutters looking at Corey. "Never mind, let's just go."

Little did he know that he was right all along: Anna is alive.

*****************

Anna follows Allison through the tunnels and climbs up a latter into a separate building. Without Allison's help, Anna finds a pool of blood and gasps. "Someone died here." She realizes.

"A technician." Anna jumps at Theo's voice and backs away in fear.

"I-I'm sorry, I was just following—" She tries to come up with an excuse.

"I'm not going to hurt you, Anna." Theo laughs, walking over to her. Anna glances at Allison, who, again, is glaring at the self-proclaimed Alpha. "You talking with a ghost, Anna?"

"Y-Yeah." She stutters.

"I want you to do something for me," Theo tells her. "And you're going to do it because you don't want to die again, do you?" Anna shakes her head and gulps. "I want you to call out to the technician's spirit."

"I-I don't know how to do that." Anna tells him.

"But you're going to learn." Theo responds smoothly. Anna looks at Allison again for instructions.

"Do what he says." Allison sighs. "You have to stay alive, Anna."

Anna nods slightly before taking a deep breath and closing her eyes. When she opens them, they glow a dark blue color. Allison notices that her eyes are not like Malia's, who's eyes are light blue to signify killing an innocent. Anna's eyes are the color of clairvoyance- royal blue.

Anna's eyes trail to see a very scared man looking at the pool of blood. Her eyes fade back to her normal color as she slowly approaches the man. "Sir?"

He jumps, looking back at her. "Who-who are you? How can you see me? I-I'm dead."

"I know, sir. Just calm down." Anna tells him as Theo smirks from his position. Allison wishes she could send an arrow right into his gut.

"Ask him about what he saw." Theo instructs.

"Can you tell me what you saw? Before you died?" Anna cringes.

"I-it was big. It was a monster." He gulps in fear. "It had blue eyes that glowed and big claws. It was submerged in darkness. It was so dark..."

"What's he saying?" Theo asks.

"He said it was something big and dark. Big blue eyes with big talons." Anna replies.

"Good." Theo nods. "Now you have to help him pass on."

"What do you mean?"

"Spirits can't just crowd whatever limbo they're in. They need to pass through a clairvoyant to be at peace." Theo explains. "All you have to do is help him."

Anna nods and walks over to the man. "Sir? I know this is scary and new and confusing, but I'm going to help you. What's your wish?"

"Wish?" He repeats.

"If you could do one thing, what would it be?" Anna hopes this is the right direction in helping the man pass on. 

"I wish I could've made enough money to support my mom when she was sick." The man admits.

"Now, I want you to think of your mother. Every good, light memory you have." Anna smiles and sticks out her hand. "Then, you're going to pass through me and can be at peace." She looks back at Theo for confirmation. He nods as the man takes Anna's hand shakily.

"Thank you." He whispers as he disappears in a shimmer. Anna's smile is wiped off her face as pain radiates through her body. She cries out and falls to the ground, holding her stomach.

"I forgot to tell you." Theo sighs, kneeling next to her. "You also feel their deaths. Throat slashed open? You feel it. Died in their sleep of heart failure? You feel it."

Anna takes calming breaths as she looks back at Theo. "Is this a game to you?" She manages to ask. "Is my pain entertainment to you?"

"No, but every time you get scared or feel pain, I just think of how Scott isn't here to help you anymore. How you're all alone with me as your Alpha." Theo tells her.

"She's not alone, jackass." Allison mutters.

"Let's get you back to base. I can hear a car coming."

*****************

Anna walks through the tunnels freely, having gotten Theo's permission. She stumbles upon some cracked floor. She drops down before noticing a familiar symbol sketched into the ground.

She moves over and kneels down, her hand brushing over Scott's tattoo design. "Scotty..." She mutters as tears come to her eyes. She sighs and draws her own circle around the other two. "I miss you."

Footsteps sound throughout the tunnel and Anna instantly gets to her feet. "Anna, calm down." Allison tells her.

"What if it's them?" Anna whimpers.

"It's not." Allison assures her.

"Then, who..." Anna trails off, seeing a familiar face at the other end of the tunnel.

"Anna." Chris Argent calls her name and starts to walk towards her.

Anna steps back, her heart pounding against her rib cage. "Y-You can't tell anyone." Anna pleads, her voice shaking. "No one can know I'm alive." He voice cracks.

"Why? What are you so afraid of?" Chris asks softly.

"Theo's gonna kill me." Anna whispers.

"Anna, you don't need to be afraid." Allison's words fall on deaf ears as Anna backs away from the veteran hunter before sprinting through the tunnels.

Hope you enjoyed, guys!!