Chapter 8

Chapter 8

       On Friday night, I spent the time doing homework. How fun, note the sarcasm. I rarely did homework on Friday nights but considering Genesis and I currently weren't talking, I had to spend it alone doing boring stuff.

       I had my earphones plugged in and even though the music was playing fairly loud, I could have sworn I had a rapid tapping noise. I looked up and out my window, seeing Genesis on the other side, crouching on the thick tree branch beside the window.

       I paused my music and took out my earphones before getting up from my desk and opening the window. "Gen, what are you doing?" I asked. "And did you walk here?"

       Genesis held up a cloth bag. "Yes, I did. I brought chocolate and chips and soda and strawberries and bananas and pretzels and the mini-fondue pot."

       "Okay, but that doesn't answer my question," I said.

       "I'm really sorry for being a jerk, Zander," she said. "You were right. I have no idea what I was thinking when I was choosing Chandler over you, especially when it put you in risk of getting a panic attack. I mean, I let him sit in your spot and you had to leave in the middle of the class. I am really, really, really sorry. Is there any chance you can forgive me?"

       "It depends," I said. "Regular pretzels or pretzel sticks?"

       "Pretzel sticks, of course," she said.

       I smiled and took the bag from her, setting it on the ground before taking her hand and helping her in my bedroom. I could never stay mad at her, especially when she randomly showed up with all that stuff.

       While I set up the chocolate fondue pot, Genesis got the TV remote and turned on the TV before looking for a movie to watch. She then sat down beside me on the floor and helped me get the food out of the bag.

       "I really am sorry," Genesis said. "I didn't mean to...."

       "Gen, it's fine," I said. "I overreacted."

       "No, you didn't," she said. "You reacted perfectly fine. I was being a huge jerk. You're my best friend, Zander, and friends should come before relationships. Things between me and Chandler might not even last, but we will always be best friends, so from now on, I am putting you first."

       I gave her a thin smile. "Thanks."

       Genesis started the movie and we started eating the food. Throughout the movie, Genesis's phone kept buzzing with a new message every five minutes. She finally huffed and picked up her phone, rolling her eyes between turning the vibration off and locking the phone. 

       "Who is it?" I asked.

       "Chandler," Genesis said. "He wanted to go out tonight even though I specifically said I was going to hang out with you after I apologize."

       "If you want to go out with him...."

       "No," Genesis said. "Zander, I want to make things up to you. I don't care if he's my boyfriend. I want to be here with you right now, not him."

       "Are you sure?" I asked. "If you really want to...."

       Genesis gave me a smile. "You are way too nice sometimes. No, I don't want to hang out with him today instead of you. I had to survive basically five days without you. I'm dying here. Besides...." She looked down. "I kind of need someone to talk to and I can't talk to Chandler about it."

       "Is that the only reason you decided to forgive me?" I asked.

       "No, of course not," she said. "Why would you th--"

       I chuckled. "I'm kidding. So, what happened this time?"

       "Same old, same old," Genesis said. ''A bunch of arguing, yelling, throwing stuff. I just....I don't understand how they are still together. They argue so much and....Nobody ever stays together for arguing as much as they do. I hate it. A lot."

       "Come here," I said softly and she scooted closer to me, so I wrapped my arms around her in a tight hug. "Everything will be okay. It might not seem like it, but things will eventually fall in place. They'll soon realize that what they're doing is affecting you and do something about it."

       "I doubt it," Genesis muttered.

       "You just have to think positive about it," I said. "And I'll always be here for you, you know that. No matter what happens between us, I'll be here for you."

       "Thank you," Genesis said. "I'm glad I have you in my life."

       "I'm glad I have you too," I said.

       I held her in my arms for a few more moments until her cell phone rang. She sighed and pulled away to answer it. "Seriously?" she asked before answering it. "Hello?....No, I told you, I'm hanging out with Zander right now....Uh, because he's my best friend? Ever since kindergarten, just so you know....No, I will not leave him right now. Chandler, look, if you had to choose between hanging out with you teammates and me, what would you choose?....Exactly, so why can't I choose someone else over you?....Chandler, I really like you, but Zander is my number one, okay? He'll always come first and you have to understand that." She hung up then and sighed. 

       "He seems controlling to me," I muttered.

       "He really isn't," Genesis said. "We've been dating for a week, so he doesn't quite know everything yet. Just give him time."

       Yeah, he still seemed controlling to me. I really wanted Genesis to be happy but on the other hand, I really hoped she would see what kind of guy he really was and broke up with him. I didn't want her changing because of him. I wouldn't be able to lose my best friend, one of the very few people I could trust, to some jerk that liked to play with every single girl's hearts.

       But, then again, Genesis made the effort to apologize instead of sending me a text or just straight up saying that she was sorry. Maybe she would be immune to whatever Chandler had that made girls change.

       We finished watching the movie and watched one more before decided it was time to go to bed. Genesis was going to stay the night, she she went to the guest room. I got changed into a pair of pajamas before turning off the lights and laying down on my bed.

       I fell asleep soon enough, but I was woken up by someone saying my name. I sat up, rubbing my eyes and turning on the light beside the bed. I saw Genesis there, her cheeks stained with tears. "What's wrong?" I asked.

       "I got a text from my mom," she said. "She told me that I need to stop running off to your house without telling her, which makes no sense because she barely noticed when I did it. And she said if I do it again, she'll forbid me from seeing you."

       "But....You do because your parents argue too much," I said. "That doesn't make any sense."

       "I know," she said. "I only run off here because I can't handle the arguing and if I can't leave my house when it gets really bad...." She released a shaky breath and wiped her tears away. "Can I sleep with you tonight?"

       "Yeah, sure," I said, scooting over so she could climb into the bed beside me. I pulled the blankets over her and turned off the light before I laid back down. Genesis scooted closer to me, resting her head on my chest. I wrapped my arms around her and closed my eyes, soon falling asleep with my best friend in my arms.

__________________

*whispers* So kawaii....

I wish I got a chapter up yesterday (the 8th) because it was Shawn Mendes's birthday and I chose Shawn to be Zander. cx But I had to do the Jerlan Boyfriend Tag and then I used my mom's phone and went on a very long walk with my brother to catch some Pokemon. BUT YOU KNOW, RATTATAS AND PIDGEYS EVERYWHERE. We went to a lot of pokestops and I got four eggs, all being 2km. AND THE FIRST ONE THAT HATCHED JUST HAD TO BE A RATTATA.

Anyways, I have two chapters planned out that I really want to write, but the first one is going to be chapter 17 and the second one will be chapter 20. I don't want to make them any earlier, but I don't have much planned out before that. I WILL TRY MY BEST TO GET THEM UP SOON. cx