Chapter 13

Chapter 13

       I was able to record a new song to record at Hunter's house, so the song I was saving for myself didn't have to be recorded. The song I was saving was the one I wrote the night I went to the movies with Genesis and Chandler ended up asking her out. That song was the one that I expressed my feelings the most, and I didn't want anyone to know how I felt.

       Okay, so nobody knew I was the mystery singer so if I did release the song, they wouldn't have known it was me and connected the dots, but I still wanted to keep the song to myself for now.

       I got to the recording studio early and met Hunter in the booth where the recording session was going to happen. He handed my the USB with my new song on it. "So, Genesis is coming," Hunter said. "Cannon texted her about it before we announced it, and she said she her parents at first said maybe, but now they were letting her."

       "She never asks her parents to go somewhere," I said. "So that's probably the hundredth reason how I know something is up." If it was because of her parents, she would have told me by now because no matter what happnened between her and her parents, she would tell me.

       "Well, if we have any luck, then you'll know what's going on soon," Hunter said. "Cannon is really good at getting things out of people."

       "I know, but Genesis is also good at keeping things from people," I said. "I really hope this works. It's killing me more and more everyday that she doesn't tell me, and it's not just because of me being in love with her. She's hurting, I know she is, and when she hurts, I hurt."

       "It was like that with Cannon and Annalise," Hunter said. "So he should know how you feel. If you ever need someone to talk to, talk to him."

       "He met Annalise when he was how old? Sixteen, almost seventeen?" I asked. "And when did I meet Genesis?"

       "You become really salty when you're heartbroken," Hunter said.

       "I'm not heartbroken!" I said and he raised his eyebrow. "Okay, I'm a little heartbroken, but I am more worried for Genesis. She's not even telling me what's going on and we tell each other everything."

       "You do?" Hunter asked. "Oh, so that's why she doesn't know you're the mystery singer. Even Cannon and I know and you hate Cannon."

       "Okay, that's not fair," I said. "One, you figured it out. Two, Cannon heard me singing. I didn't tell anyone that it's me. I can't tell her. Trust me, I want to. I try but right when I was about to tell her, I chickened out. I feel really guilty for not telling her, but I can't. So, do you think Cannon will be able to find out whatever Genesis is hiding?"

       "It's a possibility," Hunter said. "You should probably get your song ready for playback. I'll stay outside of the door just in case someone tries to sneak in to see who it is."

       "Okay, thanks," I said before Hunter left the booth, closing the door behind him.

       I downloaded the song and played it back quietly to make sure it was ready. It was, so all I had to do was wait for Hunter's signal to start the song.

       It was about half an hour later when it was supposed to start. Hunter talked to the people who were listening, telling them that I still wanted to keep my identity a secret for personal reasons, but I wanted them to at least here me sing live. He then popped his head into the booth, keeping the door barely opened so nobody could see me. He gave me the signal before going back outside and closing the door, so I played the song.

       I had to admit, it was a bit weird playing it for people, even though a lot of people heard it on the radio. I wasn't even singing live, and I had a nervous feeling in my stomach. I closed my eyes, taking a few deep breaths, trying my hardest to calm down. I was able to, thankfully.

       As soon as the song ended, I stopped it so it wouldn't loop back. Eveyrone who was listeningt in then applauded and cheered loudly, making me smile slightly. I really did want to perform at times, but I knew I couldn't bring myself to doing so.

       A few moments later, Hunter came back into the booth. "Everyone left, but Cannon is currently talking to Genesis," he told me. "And thankfully, her boyfriend didn't show up because if he really is abusing her, he probably wouldn't have let her talk to Cannon."

       "What if he can't get it out of her?" I asked. "What if this continues to happen? I can't lose her. I don't even care if she never dates me. She's my best friend and I'm losing her."

       "You'll just have to have faith in Cannon," Hunter said.

       It wasn't long before Cannon walked in. He looked at me and sighed. "She denied everything," he said. "I guessed a lot of what could be happening and she denied everything, even her getting abused. I really don't want to worry you, Zander, but it's the most logical thing. She's basically avoiding you, a guy. Chandler probably doesn't want her near any other guys, which would also explain why she didn't even do the harmless flirting with me. She even did when she first started dating Chandler."

       "Then what can we do?" I asked.

       "Zander, I don't think we can do anything," Hunter said. "Not if she's denying it."

       "We can give a heads up to her parents," Cannon said.

       I sighed. "No, we can't. They won't do anything, believe me. But there has to be something we can do."

       "I don't think there is," Hunter said. "Not unless she either gains the courage to break up with him or he moves away. Until either of those things happen....We might just have to leave it."

       "We can't leave it," I said. "She's my best friend. Hunter, Violet didn't just leave it when she found out about your drinking problem, did she? Even when you were broken up, you were able to call her and she was still there for you. And Cannon, Annalise was always there for you when you told her about you being bisexual."

       "Actually, there was one time where....Okay, I see you're trying to make a point," Cannon said. "Zander, I care for her too, alright? Not as much as you of course, but I don't see what we can do, especially when we don't have any proof of Chandler abusing her. Look, I'll try talking to her again, okay? See if I can try getting her to tell me what's going on. In the meantime, you can't do anything."

       "But...." I began.

       "Zander," Cannon said. "I'll try to get it out of her. But until I do, you can't do anything."

__________________________

Two more chapters until the reveal. And here's a hint: there can be more than one thing going on....

I'm about to eat dinner and while I do, I'll try to think of what's going to happen next chapter so it won't be too short. I really want to write chapter 15 before I go to bed, and I think I have time. :)