Chapter 29

Chapter 29

       Today, I was going to be performing a few songs at the orphanage today. Genesis was certain that I would be able to do so without freaking out, and I trusted her. As the day came closer, I wasn't even the slightest bit worried about performing, so I knew I would be able to do it.

       I got Max to listen to all the songs and choose the ones he wanted me to perform. In fact, he was the one that kept insisting on listening to the songs and choose the one he wanted. I didn't mind at all. He loved hearing my sing and it was only making me feel even more confident.

       I was eating a bowl of cereal in the kitchen when Max came skipping down the stairs. "Hey, Zander," he said, sitting beside me. "You sang in front of people once, right?"

       "Yeah, I did at my school talent show," I said.

       "Then why can't you perform now?" he asked.

       "It's complicated," I said. "I have this fear and being in a public place or being too close to people can trigger a panic attack."

       "Oh," he said. "Then....How come you were able to sing in front of your school?"

       "I had to do it for Genesis," I said. "It's a long story."

       "Oh, okay," he said. "So if you were to sing a song for her in front of people, would you be able to?"

       "Yeah, of course," I said, then I just realized what I said.

       Oh my gosh. My little brother just found out how I could perform in front of people.

       It made absolute sense. I was always so comfortable with Genesis near me and she had a high chance of being able to stop or at least calm down a panic attack. If I were to sing a song for her, while looking at her, I think I'd be able to do it with people looking at me.

       I didn't even think Max noticed that he found a way to get me perform, probably because he didn't really understand my agoraphobia. However, he still had a suggestion. "Isn't Genesis's birthday soon?" he asked and I nodded. "You should sing a song to her in front of people."

       "You know what? I think I will do that," I said, which made Max smile. "In fact, I've been writing a song just for her, so I'll have to ask Dad."

       "Ask me what?" Dad asked as he walked into the kitchen.

       "Would I be able to sing a song I didn't record yet?" I asked.

       "Where?" he asked.

       "I don't know yet," I said. "Maybe that cafe where on Fridays, people can perform songs if they want."

       Dad seemed a bit shocked by that. "You want to perform in front of people?" he asked.

       "Yeah," I said. "Max was able to find out that if I sing for Genesis, I'll be able to do it so if I sing a song to her on her birthday, in front of people, I should be able to do it and that will help me eventually be able to do it. So, since I'm signed to the label, would it have to be a song I already recorded? There's a song I'm writing for her that I really want to sing."

       "Nope, it doesn't have to be one you recorded," Dad said. "So, will you really do it?"

       I smiled faintly. "Yeah, I think I will."

       Dad smiled as well. "You don't have to feel like you have to. But if you do, at least you know something that will be able to help you sing."