Chapter 12

Chapter 12

       I was starting to worry about Genesis. Well, I was already worried about her but now, I was worrying even more. She wasn't acting like herself at all. I don't know, but it seemed like she was almost scared of something.

       She was even starting to hang out with me less and less and with Chandler more and more. Chandler was loving it. He kept rubbing it in my face, either bragging about the plans they made or kissing and hugging her around me.

       Not only that, but she stopped sending me goodnight texts with a blue heart. Ever since we both got a phone, we always sent hearts and goodnight texts, even when we were in a fight which rarely happened.

       This was what I was afraid of when Genesis started dating Chandler.

       The only good thing that was happening was that I was still able to keep my spot in English class, but the downside of that was it was because Genesis would sit somewhere else with Chandler.

       And the weird thing was that Chandler was home sick today, and Genesis was back to being herself again.

       Since Chandler wasn't here, I decided it was the perfect time to try to talk to her seeing as she barely texted me.

       At lunch, I gently grabbed Genesis's wrist and pulled her away from the classroom we just had. "Gen, you need to talk to me," I said. "What's going on?"

       "What are you talking about?" she asked.

       "Don't give me that," I said. "You and I both now it's something more than you're leading on. Please, Genesis. You're hurting and it's hurting me to see you like this."

       "Zander, you're probably just hallucinating," Genesis said. "I am perfectly fine and I'm not even hurting."

       "Please," I said, my voice cracking a bit. "You can't shut me out like this."You don't come over anymore, you barely text me, and you don't even send the goodnight texts anymore. Something is happening and I don't like it so please, just talk to me."

       "I can't," she said. "I already told you, it's something I can't tell you."

       "Gen, is Chandler hurting you?" I asked. It was the only thing I could think of. She always seemed scared and it would explain why she was texting me less.

       "What? No," she said. "You know I wouldn't let somebody hurt me and I would tell you if he did. I would even tell Cannon. I promise, I'm figuring things out, okay?"

       "Gen, come on, obviously you're not," I said. "It's changing you. You're not acting like yourself and....and I hate it. You're my best friend and whatever's happening isn't only hurting you, but it's hurting me. Please, just....tell me."

       Genesis didn't reply. She couldn't, because Chandler suddenly walked over to us. Great. I was looking forward to him not being here for the day.

       "What are you doing here?" Genesis asked. "I thought you were sick."

       "Well, I was, but I'm feeling better," Chandler said. "So, let's go get lunch. Just the two of us."

       "But Zander...."

       "Genesis," Chandler said, a bit too sternly. He then cleared his throat. "I'm not really in the mood to be around too many people. You understand, right, Zander?"

       He grabbed Genesis's wrist and pulled her to the cafeteria. I sighed, rubbing my forehead. I couldn't handle this anymore. I needed to find out what was going on with her.