Chapter 27

Chapter 27

       Someone suddenly jumped on my bed, waking me up. I groaned and put the pillow over my head, wanting to get back to school. "Zander, come on," Genesis said. "Get up."

       "Why?" I asked in a whiny voice. "I'm tired."

       "I know," Genesis said. "But you have to leave in an hour."

       "Why?" 

       "Because it's Saturday," she said. "The first Saturday of the month."

       I sighed when I realized what that meant. Two years ago, in my sophomore year at school, everyone had to volunteer somewhere for at least five hours per month which wasn't that much work. I chose to work at an orphanage every other week for two and a half hours, and I loved going there, so now even though I wasn't required to, I went there the first Saturday of every month, and sometimes on holidays.

       However, even though I loved going there, I hated waking up on Saturdays.

       I sat up and rubbed my eyes. "You going to come?" I asked.

       "Yeah," she said. Every once in a while, Genesis would come with me.

       I got out of bed and went to my washroom. I took a quick shower before brushing my hair and teeth, then heading back into my bedroom to get changed. Genesis was sitting on my bed cross-legged, looking at her phone.

       While I was digging through my dresser to find something to wear. Genesis glanced up at me and smiled. "You look very cute with only a towel around your waist," she said. "Mind taking it off for me?"

       "You perv," I said. "And just for that, I am getting changed in the washroom."

       "Aww," Genesis said, curling her lips into a pout. I rolled my eyes and gave her a kiss before going into the washroom to get changed.

       By the time I was changed, there was half an hour left for me to be at the orphanage, so Genesis and I lounged around for a bit before heading off.

       When we got to the orphanage, we signed in on the volunteer sheet before heading to the dining room where they should all be eating right now.

       They were and one particular boy, Max, saw me walk in and smiled before hopping up and running over to me. "Zander!" he said happily before wrapping his arms around my legs. "I missed you!"

       "I missed you too," I said. "How are you?"

       "I'm very, very, really good," Max said with a smile. "I'm getting adopted today!"

       I smiled back at him. "Really? Are you excited?"

       "Very," Max said.

       Max was being raised by a single mom because the father refused to take part in his life. Max's mom then passed away and his father still refused to look after him, so he was sent to the orphanage. He was four years old at the time and he has been here ever since I volunteered here. Now, he was six years old.

       "My new mommy and daddy are here, too!" Max said. "They're doing work on papers or whatever. I can't remember their name, though. And I thing the last name is Wiggleton....No, that doesn't sound right....Maybe Miggleton. No, wait....Ooh! It's Millington!"

       Millington.

       Was that just a coincidence?

       "Hey, Max," I said. "Was the dad's name Kevin?"