Fireflies part 2

Chris was brought to the clearing where they had last found their footprints on the ground. Chris dropped down a duffel bag he took from his van and kneeled over to look at it.

"You're tracking them by print?" he asked.

"We're trying," said Scott.

"Well then you're wasting your time. There's only one creature that can visually track footprints, and that's man. And, if you're not trained like me, then you have no idea that this print," he said pointing to one set. "Is Boyd's. And these," he then pointed to another set right next to it.

"Are Cora's?" Isaac slurred out.

"No," he shook his head. "They're yours," he said making Isaac look down at his feet nervously. "You trampled on Cora's as soon as you walked over here. Listen," he said shifting his tone. "I know that the three of you are focusing half your energy on resisting your own urges under the full moon but that puts you at a severe disadvantage to Boyd and Cora who are fully giving in. They're putting the pedal to the floor while you three are barely hitting the speed limit."

Derek let out a frustrated breath as he folded his arms. "So, what do we do?"

"Focus on your sense of smell. Actual wolves have been known to track their prey for up to 100 miles a day by scent. A trained hunter can use scent to trap them. If the wind is with them then wolves can track a scent for up to 2 miles. We can draw them to us, and into a trap." He then tossed a rope net at Scott. "The full moon does give us one advantage though, they'll have a higher heat signature. Makes them easier to spot with infrared." He then took out and started handing them infrared goggles.

Derek got tossed one but quickly threw it back. "Thanks but, I've got my own." He then flashed his red eyes out at him.

"Just remember," Chris continued. "We're not hunting wild animals. Beneath those impulses are still intelligent human beings. Many believe they can't rely on that human side. It's suppressed but its still there. Reminding how to mask their scent, cover their tracks, how to survive." They then moved to a high point to try and spot the heat signatures they were giving off. Chris took a moment and looked over at Derek. "When was the last time you saw your sister?" he asked out of the blue.

"Not in years," he said still looking out. "Thought she died in the fire."

Chris pushed down some of the guilt he felt towards his sister and father being behind that. "Can you get a lock on her scent?" But Derek shook his head. "Scott?" he asked turning to the beta. "How confident are you in your skills?"

"Honestly, most of the time I'm trying not to think about all the things I can smell," he said glumly. "It doesn't seem to ever bother Stiles though. He's been trying to help me get over that but...it's not easy."

Chris' jaw stiffened at the mention of his friend. The beta that had been stabbed and beaten in his home and then went and gave him long and deep scars on his arm that he could still feel a bit if he moved his arm too hard or too fast. "Where is Stiles anyway? I would think he would be out here with you, trying to help."

Scott looked over and saw that Derek was giving him a bit of a stink eye. It was clear that Derek didn't want Mr. Argent to know about the Alpha Pack. Scott actually agreed. Just getting him to help them with Boyd and Cora was hard enough. A pack of Alphas being thrown into the mix might make everything get more complicated so he had to be vague.

"If I had to guess, he's out trying to get a start on dealing with some of our other problems," he threw out there. "Boyd and Cora really spooked some people tonight and his dad would be in the thick of it."

Chris nodded. "Well, it will only get worse when the two of them manage to breach the woods and hit the residential area. Once they're passed the high school they're right in the middle of Beacon Hills."