Frayed

The school bus drove on the desert road with Coach Finstock looking out at the passing scenery with a glum look before he turned back and quickly blew his whistle.

"Back to your seat," he said to the student that was standing to look at the scenery too.

Boyd was sitting with Isaac around the middle of the bus. Boyd was looking off at nothing in particular but there was focus in his eyes. Focus that Isaac noticed.

"Stop thinking about it, man," Isaac said to him lightly.

Boyd gave him a side look. "Oh, like you're not thinking about it too?"

That made Isaac shrug. "Yeah, well, we'll both stop thinking about it."

"I can't," argued Boyd.

"Yeah? Well, there's nothing you can do about it either."

"You sure about that?" Boyd pressed him before he took a look over at Ethan who was sitting with Danny a few seats away.

Ethan spared the two betas a look before he looked down at his phone.

"You alright man?" Danny asked him out of nowhere.

"Yeah? Why?" Ethan asked.

"Because you've checked your phone three times in the last five minutes."

"Waiting for a message," Ethan smiled a little flirtatiously at him.

Danny mirrored his smile back at him. "Anything important?"

"No." That made Danny look away from him and Ethan's smile dropped a bit. "Nothing," he added a little glumly. He then went to spare Scott and Stiles a look.

They were sitting over at the back of the bus together. Scott was absentmindedly staring out the window while Stiles was scrolling down the screen of his tablet. Scott's mind was lost in the memories of the previous night.

"Yo Scotty. Hey, yo Scotty?" Stiles said before snapping his fingers at him to bring him out of his daze. "You still with me?"

Scott rubbed at his eyes. "Yeah, sorry. Uh, what's the word?" he quickly asked.

"Anachronism," Stiles read out to help Scott with his resolution to be a better student which he was determined to still follow.

Scott sighed. "Something that exists out of its normal time."

Stiles nodded. "Nice. Okay, next word. Incongruous."

"Uh...can you use it in a sentence?" Scott asked as he was drawing a blank.

"Yes, yes I can. It's completely incongruous that we're sitting on a bus right now on our way to some stupid cross-country meet after what just happened. Incongruous," Stiles finished.

"Out of place," Scott answered. "Ridiculous, absurd."

Stiles nodded again. "Perfect. Okay, next word, um...Darach." Scott went to give him a look. "Darach, it's a noun." Stiles finally turned to see the look Scott was giving him and he turned away. Stiles rolled his eyes. "We have to talk about it sometime, okay? And we are going to be stuck in this thing for like five hours, so why not?" Scott just sighed and moved to rest his head against the glass window. Stiles gave up. "Next word, Intransigent," he said going back to the list.

"Stubborn, obstinate," Scott answered. But then the bus suddenly hit a bump and Scott painfully flinched.

"Whoa," Stiles said as he noticed that Scott was reaching for where he was wounded. "Buddy, you okay?" Scott just grit his teeth in pain and Stiles started to shake his head. "We shouldn't have come. I knew it, we shouldn't have come."