twenty two ;; truth of being a bully

160109
3:02 p.m

"pork, check! eggs, check! lettuce, check!" i said and scanned the whole list from my text messages that my mom sent. "i guess i'm done for the groceries.." i mumbled to myself. i made my way back to the coffee shop and when i got there, a familiar face caught my sight.

lee minhee.

wait, what's she doing here? she was sitting in the step of the stairs on the coffee shop, crying. should i go up to her..? she looks sad.. i think i should. but what if she punches me..?! hmm.. nah, she won't do that.

i think.

i slowly walked up to her and took a good look on her face. "minhee?" i asked. she wiped away some of her tears and looked at me then looked away. i sat beside her in the stairs and placed my groceries down.

"what's wrong?" i asked. "why do you care?" she asked, not making any eye contact with me.

"w-why are you even talking to me?! aren't you scared of me?!" she shouted. "i was before, when you first threatened me." i answered.

"despite the bully you are, it's a fact that every person has a soft side. knowing you, as the bully of the school, you're a type of girl who doesn't want to show your true feelings." i said and watched as people walk pass by us on the sidewalk.

she glanced at me for a few seconds then looked away again. "people like you always want to act tough in front of everyone, and if your sad, you cry alone." i said and heard a few sniffles from her.

"now, can you tell me why you're crying?" i asked. "i-it's just family matters..." she mumbled. "what was it about? if you don't mind me asking.." i said. "my parents.. i-it had something to do with them.." she said and looked down.

i nodded and hesitantly patted her shoulder. i thought she would push my hand away, but she didn't. she covered her face with her hands and started sobbing.

gonna be honest, i never expected that our school's bully, lee minhee, could actually be crying about something. i sat closer and comforted her.

"you'll be okay.." i mumbled.

after a few minutes, she finally calmed down. "i'm tired. i'm tired of being a bully." she said. "i just want to be a normal person, like you. you're living a life that everyone wants to have. a normal unproblematic life." she said.

"unlike me, who has no friends or family to comfort me.." she said. "yah, you try to live a life going to school, having a part-time job after school and going home really tired." i joked. she made a small laugh and shook her head.

"what i mean is, you have people around you who loves you." she said and i sighed. "i'm sure there are people who loves you too, minhee." i said. "friends? i'm your friend." i asked and she laughed.

"i guess.." she mumbled. "and if you become much nicer to people, you can be friends with my friends." i said and laughed.

she looked at me and a small smile formed on her face. "i made the right decision going here.." she said. "hm? did you purposely go here just to talk to me?" i asked and she nodded. "funny, huh?" she asked and i nodded.

"i'm sorry for bullying you, ayeon." she said and i nodded, giving her a thumbs up. she laughed and shook her head. "aigoo, that was so cringy." she said.

"so, are we friends?" i asked and placed my hand out for her to shake. she looked at me then at my hand. she shook it and nodded.

"friends." she said with a smile.