Syn

The torturous night grew colder as we waited for Queen Ika to return with Luca

The torturous night grew colder as we waited for Queen Ika to return with Luca. I sat in the snow next to the Prince, taking in his look of appreciation due to the decline in temperature. I could only imagine how the brisk air soothed his irritated, distressed skin. Even in his distress was he the most handsome man I'd ever seen.

"Keep staring at me like that and I'll begin to think you want to seduce me again," he teased.

"Again?"

"Oh yes," he beamed. "Shall I remind you of the many times you tried to seduce me? Once was in front of my father..."

"Lies."

"The other was in the hallway..."

"I think it was the other way around."

"Oh? And look at you now, your cheeks are flushed, as if you want to take me right here. Shame on you, Anya."

"I was examining your chest." I flushed even harder.

"You were examining how much you wanted to seduce me right now. And here I thought you were a lady."

"Stop it," I warned. "You were almost killed and you want to joke around? We're in a very compromising situation."

"I know, and that's why you need to stop stressing out and let me take your mind off of the things you can't control. Come here," he said, grabbing me and pulling me as close as I could be. I was careful not to touch his skin, even though he didn't seem to mind. "Stop acting afraid of me."

"Well, you are quite scary," I teased. "But it's your injury that I'm more afraid of."

"I can barely feel it now," he said, and tilted his head back to inhale the fresh, freezing air. His reddened skin was already beginning to pale, or maybe it was due to the frost collecting on him. I looked up, noticing the first bout snow beginning to fall from the sky.

"Look, it's snowing."

Snow rarely feel near the boarder, and I was mesmerized. It was so peaceful watching the heavy snow journey to the ground, like feathers drifting through the wind. I allowed myself to pretend that Sebastian and I were just outside of the castle, sharing winter's first snow fall. His arm wrapped around mine as I lay my head against his shoulder.

I imagined that the rebels did not exist and that Titus had no secret agenda. I imagined the Prince confessing his love for me after I'd officially become Captain. We sat, sharing promising kisses on a bench as the white flakes decorated our heads.

But in reality my love story wasn't that simple. A traitor had to be discovered and a kingdom had to be seized. A journey had to be made, and finally, a kingdom had to be restored. Maybe then, a love story could thrive.