Warrior Blood

Sorry in advance for any typos!

ANYA

'Stay away from the mountains,' my mother had always warned me, back when I was still innocent to nature's constant attempts at wiping humankind clean from its surface. The mountains once used to look like harmless miles of friendly snow. But after this day, when I look onto those frozen peaks, I will only see it for its sharp edges and deadly traps. Truth is, the mountains are a deathwish, waiting to happen.

If the mission I am on could talk to me, it would tell me that we were never making it to flat land. My body would rot away in this cave, void of Prince Sebastian and our mission to save our kingdom.

We were doomed.

It then dawned on my growing consciouness that I lay in a cave with Cros as my only companion.

And sebastian was gone...

I was on my feet quickly, the blurred edges of sleepiness still pulled at the corners of my eyes. I felt dizzy from dehydration, but my stumbling feet didn't keep me from advancing Cros. His back was against me as he sat at the burning fire, but I could tell from his slouched posture that he was sleeping. 

I wasted no time and sprang on him, knocking him over with a loud thud. The fire's shadows covered his face, but so could tell he had awakened from the commotion. I turned him over, not caring that his eyes were still closed. I would have my revenge.

Ice formed around my balled fist as it collided with his face, and his head rolled to the side from the impact. Still, he did not move.

"I hate you!" I screamed, punching him again and again. I was blinded by a rage and despair so deep that I saw nothing but a red haze blending with the dark. Sebastian was dead and Cros did nothing to prevent it. He deserved to die as well.

I wrapped my hands around his throat and began to squeeze, cutting off his source of air. I wanted him dead. It was all his fault. 

Cros' face began to turn blue, and yet he didn't once move. I was sure to give him a clean death, but at last, his arms shot out, pulling my hands away from his throat. Cros choked as he blinked away fallen tears. His eyes then settled on mine as he gasped for air, struggling to fill his empty lungs. His worry lines formed deeply within his forehead as he stared up at me in horror.

Remembering myself, I began to struggle against his grip, my eyes focused on reclaiming his neck. Cros was much larger than I and he kept me away with ease as he tried to recover from my attack.

"I hate you!" I continued to thrash, straining my hands to reach his neck. "How did you not see the avalanche? I thought you could see visions!"

"I-I don't know," Cros cried out between deep breaths. My right hand slipped free from his grasp and closed around his neck.

"You let Sebastian die! You were supposed to protect us from danger. Are you even really a seer? Or are you a fraud?"

Cros tossed me off of him as if I'd only weighed a pound. He was on his feet in seconds, backing away so he that was at a safe distance from me. He shook his head once, massaged his neck, and said, "I am definitely a seer, you mad woman! I was having a vision just as you were attempting to kill me. If I couldn't even see my own impending death, what makes you think I can see others? I have no control over my visions. None. But I can assure one thing. Your friend is not dead."

"How do you know this?" I asked. I refused to allow hope to seep into my mind, to calm my madness. I wouldn't let him lie to me, again.

"I told you," Cros answered, finally seeming to catch his breath. He stood straighter, less afraid than he had previously been. I was sure my attack had been very surprising for him. Still, I felt no guilt. "I will reveal certain truths when it is time."