Unexpected Friends

Cora

I stood before the Fire King, naked and shy

I stood before the Fire King, naked and shy. Truth is, I wasn't shy at all. It was all an act, even the part where I quickly picked my dress up, muttering my apologizes as I slid my hands through the sleeves. Deep down, I didn't want to fake whatever would happen between Titus and me, but only a fool would act based off of their emotion when so much was at stake. I knew I was a player in a dangerous game, and so I would remove my feelings and play my cards just like everyone else.

"The maids didn't bother to give me an outfit that actually fit," I said, slowly walking toward him. His eyes were still unwavering as I approached, and I knew I had him exactly where I wanted him. "I have been reminded how much of a prisoner I still am. Switching me to a fancy room didn't change much, but I appreciate the offer. I see you somehow managed to get me a room next to yours."

It took a moment before King Toro responded, and he had to clear his throat to do so. "It wasn't hard, especially with me mentioning how I could keep an eye on you while he focused on finding the Prince."

I was now standing directly in front of him, and although our conversation was light, I could see the aftereffects of my nudity. There was now a burnt spot where his hand had rested on the arm of the chair.

The composed King had lost control of himself and the thought of it made me wild inside. I slowly turned away and took a seat across from him.

"Why don't you ever wear a shirt?" I asked, exposing a heavy amount of cleavage as I leaned forward.

"I get too hot." His voice was deep, sultry. I could have sworn his eyes darkened.

I allowed myself to take in the sight of his bronzed abdomen, strong shoulders and muscular arms. "I'm not complaining," I said, lowering my eyes in return. I leaned toward him even more.

"Don't get too close, Cora. You'll get burned," he warned. And with that, his warmth withdrew, leaving me cold and confused.

"I-I don't understand what you mean," I asked, straightening in my seat.

He had replaced that intense gaze with a look of indifference, as if I hadn't been naked moments ago. Was I not attractive? Had I been reading this situation wrong the entire time?

"Do you think I'm stupid? That I'm a naive King?" Toro laughed, but there was nothing humorous in the sound. "You're trying to protect the very person I wish to kill. And now you are suddenly interested in me? What has changed?"

I sat back in my seat, perplexed. I'd done everything right, and yet...he didn't take the bait. The rejection stung more than anything. And for the first time, I was starting to see just how small I was.

I couldn't help Sebastian and Anya. I wasn't going to be able to save the Queen. I was helpless and without a plan. And I was beginning to break.

I didn't realize the first tear fell until it was too late. I hadn't realized I'd began to sink in my seat until it was too late. I slid down to the floor, heaving and breaking, and every cold night spent in the dungeon rushed at me like a bolt of lightning. Every bad dream, every negative thought. Every day I lay in pain recovering from Titus' attack. Every day I spent strapped to a bed hit me like a ball of flames.

We failed. Everything was changing. There was no hope. Everyone I loved was going to die.

And I couldn't stand it.

"Everything I ever loved has left me!" I cried. "My mother left and never came back. My friends left me behind when they fled the castle. They left me to here to die," I heaved. "They're just...they're just like my mom...

"And Titus...I loved him and he turned on me. He'd lied to me; he manipulated me! He'd made me turn on my friends, and in the end, they left me! I don't know who to hate more. Titus, my friends, or myself." My body shook so badly, I barely felt his hands wrap around me. I barely felt him lift me into his arms. "I thought I was strong. For so long, I was strong but I'm not. I-I can't do this anymore. I-I_"

"Please...don't break," he whispered, walking me toward the bed, his warmth caressing my skin and seeping into my sadness. "I'm sorry. Please, don't break." His voice was gentle, as if he cared. As if somewhere deep inside, he felt my pain.

He lay me onto the bed and placed his covers on top of me. When he tried to move away, I reached for his hand, afraid that his soothing warmth would depart from me. I was shaking, unable to regulate my own temperature and...I needed him.

"Please don't move," I cried, pulling at his arm. I could feel his resistance, but I pressed on. "Please...lay with me."

I let go of his arm and shivered out a sob. King Toro sighed, but his slightly slanted eyes were soft as he looked down at me. Seconds later, I felt the bed indent.

His arms wrapped around me as he spooned me. I could feel the hardness of his chest and abdomen, every breath and heartbeat as his skin pressed against my back.

He raised a finger and began tracing my arm. They were soft, gentle strokes that made me shutter. "When I was a boy, I got lost in the woods for five hours after I followed soldiers in. I remember the fear I felt when no one came for me. No one knew I was there. I was alone and I couldn't cry out for my mother because she was dead. And I realized, even as a young boy, that even if someone found me out there, I would still be alone.

"You want to know how I got out? I walked out. I stopped panicking and willed myself to find my way back. And I did. We are allowed to crack a little, Cora, but don't break. You're stronger than that. And you aren't as 'alone' as you think you are."

I watched the dancing flames of the burning fire in silence. His soothing words were a comfort, a rare treasure.

This man, this king, held me in his arms and caressed me. The King of Fireland caressed me. He was compassionate enough to put himself to the side and comfort me, an enemy. Or maybe not an enemy, but definitely not a friend.

"Thank you for making me feel less alone," I finally said.

"I couldn't stand there and watch you go through that."

I rolled over so that I was facing him, and I studied his soft features. With him so close, I could see the youth in his eyes. I could see the boy that lay just beneath the man, afraid and alone. I could also see the weight of his kingdom in the lines above his brows, I could recognize the seriousness in the set of his lips. Lips I wanted to kiss.

I lifted a hand to trace his jaw line, surprised that he allowed me to. I then traced his thick eyebrows, and lastly, his lips. Lips that were full and welcoming...

"Thank you, again," I told him, meaning every word. "Thank you for being an unexpected friend."

"Friend." He weighed the word on his tongue and gave me a small smile. "Thank you for showing me a different side to your people. I once thought you all to be heartless and cold. I wasn't...prepared for...you."

He lowered his eyes to my bare shoulder and began drawing circles with his finger. "You're skin is not as cold as I thought it would be."

"To be honest, you warm my blood. You neutralize it."

His eyes narrowed. "I wonder if that's how it felt for our ancestors. To be both hot and cold, to be lukewarm. I wonder if it's possible to become what we once were, before the earth changed."

"You have such an inquisitive mind," I told him. My nestled my head right under his chin, allowing myself to be swallowed up in his heat. He smelled like roasted hazelnuts. Surprisingly, he pulled me closer-closer than I had ever been with him.

This was real, this was more intimate than being naked in front of him. My pain, my honesty and desperation was what caused him to open himself up to me. I didn't have to be like Esmeralda to get a man's attention. I just had to be myself...

I wanted to lay with him and just forget the world. I wanted to be at peace, if only for a moment longer. And so I stayed there, tucked in his warm arms, and I almost believed I wasn't alone.