A Storm of Pride

First, I would like to apologize to my of my readers grieved by the 1/4 chapter update and couldn't go to Inkitt to read the rest. I will not post half chapters or updates.

ANYA

The raging winds whipped past me and carried with it the first droplets of snow

The raging winds whipped past me and carried with it the first droplets of snow. And within seconds, the small flecks in the wind became many, swallowing up the sight of the two who drew near. Sebastian and Syn hiked through the snow against the current. I knew it was them; I was familiar with the curve of his shoulders, the elegance in each step, the way he held his head as if nothing could ever defeat him. I could spot Sebastian even in a sea of clones.

My fingers flexed at my side as I wait our reunion. Cros crouched next to me behind a large, snow-covered rock, hiding himself as he prepared for an attack. A man with his mind set on killing someone was a dangerous man. I refused to meet his deep, endless eyes afraid of what I may find. Instead, I focused on Sebastian.

With each deep step through inches of thick snow, Sebastian drew near, and the determined look on his face grew like a raging wildfire. My heart raced for him as I fought the urge to run to into his strong, familiar arms. That morning, I had promised Cros that I would allow them to get close enough so that he could attack Syn.

I still didn't think killing her was the best idea. The consequences her death could bring beat at my chest like a monstrous herd, thumping through the terrain. She was just a child...and yet, in so many ways, she wasn't. Her spirit was old and wise, but it was also broken.

I once watched her closely in the beginning, as we rode North, before we had encountered the blizzard. I had analyzed her small face and the hard set of her lips. Pondered on why her eyes held no trace of a child's joy. In them, I only saw the cold truth about this world. This child was a product of whatever had hardened her, all innocence lost, all youthfulness forgotten. Maybe death would be peace for her soul. But even if it were, it wasn't Cros' job to determine.

The Prince was feet away and his eyes were alight with wonder as he took me in. Butterflies undressed me and exposed the rawness inside. I could feel myself finally succumbing to relief, but with relief came a lot of emotions I'd suppressed. The biggest was the fear of losing him.

I gulped down a huge breath of air, trying to keep myself from breaking down. I was desperate, needing him and forgetting everything but the look on his face, a look that meant we had been sharing the same emotions.

Sebastian took the last ten steps toward me, sweeping me into his arms. I finally broke, and with it came every single wall I had been holding up. I needed him, more than the air itself. I needed him like a firefly needed its light.

There was a time when I hated his very existence, when the sight of him made my skin crawl. When it was his mission to push me away, to make me hate him, to break me down so I would run. I would never forget those brutal trainings. The Firelander who still haunted me during the quiet, uneventful silence. His death never forgotten. And now, the idea of running away, the thought of losing Sebastian forever made me weak with fear.