Justice Always Prevails

Merry Christmas! Jesus is born!! Celebrating the holidays with joy! I hope you all are in good spirits, regardless of your religion. Please enjoy my gift to you! An update!!!

CORA

I found myself sitting across from the Fire King as his blazing green eyes studied me. He was shirtless, as always, and the flickering shadows of the fire nearby caressed his abdomen. One hand was propped on the arm of the chair and his other sat in his lap.

"Tell me about yourself, Lady Cora," he began.

"I believe this conversation should go the other way around," I told him. "Since it is my trust you must gain. Please, King Toro, tell me about your past."

He sat up and rested both hands on his lap. "Where shall I start?"

"As a little boy," I told him, allowing the crackling noises of the fire to soothe me. "Tell me who you were before the Ice King made you a vengeful king."

I watched as the Fire King sneered. It was apparent that he did not want to be sitting there reliving his past. I would've ended our deal right then and there, if I were him. I expected him to, but to my surprise, he began to speak....

"I was afraid. Every day, I walked next to my maids, holding their hands with wide eyes, taking in the site of men and women bowing down to me, respecting me for things I had yet to do. I was a child and yet the weight of death and destruction held me down. I had no mother or father, no siblings, no one to love me and nurture me. My maids kept distant out of respect, but a child doesn't need respect. A child needs love.

"I wasn't allowed outside of the castle, I had no idea what the world around me looked like. I was sheltered and prepped for battle." King Toro met my eyes and I saw the green within them coming to life.

"Eventually, my fear left me the more I turned into a deadly youth. A beast. My training started when I was eight and I'd condition for three hours straight. By the time I was ten, I was training for five hours a day, doing things men twice my age couldn't do.

"My trainer was actually a woman," King Toro explained. "Her name was El, short for Elsa. El is a seer. It is a rare but special gift some of my people possess. They can see a man's move five seconds in advance. This trick of hers always gave her an advantage during battle.

"Even though I was not gifted with the ability, I was taught how to manifest it to a certain extent by measuring a man's movements. I can always tell exactly where an attack is going to strike seconds in advance."

"She seems deadly," I interjected. "I never knew such abilities existed. What else can your people do?"

"If I told you, I'd have to kill you." His eyes were serious, and I knew he was telling the truth. I shifted in my seat, looking away.

"Me dead wouldn't be good for you, not when I know where the Prince is," I reminded him.

"We've established that," he said, sitting up. The shadows around him masked his face making him even more mysterious. "But if I trusted you, I wouldn't have to go to such extremes to silence you. So now It is your turn to tell me about yourself."

I smirked, he was good at getting what he wanted, which was more information on who I was. I decided to play along.

"Well, I'm more like you than you think," I began. "I didn't have parents, I didn't get showered in love and affection, and I lived in fear. Unlike you, I didn't have a pretty castle and warmth to surround myself in. I had cold, abandoned buildings and a rabbit fur blanket that took three weeks worth of kill to make.