Chapter 12: Hatred

"Come on, you can do better Reiner!" Eren shouts. He and your other friends stand in a circle around Reiner. He's doing push-ups with Armin and Berthold on his back.

"I'm pretty sure I can! Anyone else wants to sit on my back?" Reiner asks. The corners of his mouth are turned upwards, he doesn't seem to find this hard or exhausing. Even though there are streams of sweat dripping down his forehead. "(Y/n)? You want to?" Reiner asks.

Surprised you look up. "O-oh, no thanks..." You say.

"Ah, come on. You could use a piggy-back-ride! You've been so quiet lately." Connie says. The others agree and start to push and pull you towards Reiner. It's a little uncomfortable to sit on Armin's and Berthold's laps. Especially because they have to take a hold of you so you won't fall off. "Okay Reiner, let's go!" Connie yells.

Reiner starts to do push-ups and the whole group starts to count how many he can do. You feel uncomfortable being in the center of the group. Ofcourse all the attention is on Reiner, but you are right on top of him. And a big group chanting and yelling draws attention from others... You really hope 'he' will not notice what's going on. But...

"What is going on here?" A very familliar voice says. Jean quickly hides behind a few boxes close to where the group stands. "Not training I see?" The short corporal says a little irritated. He looks around the group, and rests his gaze on you. For a moment it's deadsilent. "(Y/n), can I talk to you for a moment...?" Levi asks calmly. You get off Reiner's back and slowly walk towards Levi. He takes a hold of your arm and pulls you away from the group.

On the other side of the terrain Levi lets go of you again. "Care to explain what exactly you were thinking?!" He asks.

"Im sorry! I told them I didn't want to! But they made me!" You say, scared of what Levi will do to you or the others. "Please don't hurt me! Or them for that matter!" You look at Levi with begging, scared eyes.

Levi gives you a cold glare. "Wait here..." He then says. He walks back to the group. You try really hard to listen to what he will say. "Oi, brats, is it true you made her sit on that muscular guy's back?" Levi asks. The group answers, they nod and look a little scared. "And what about you two? Holding on to her like that?" Levi asks Armin and Berthold. They explain that there wasn't much room on Reiner's back. Berthold is sweating even more than usual. "You are all disgusting pigs, you know that? Making an innocent girl do something she doesn't want to! You should be ashamed of yourselfes!" Levi yells. Then he walks back to you.

"You didn't have to be so harsh on them..." You say. Levi frowns and grabs the collar of your jacket to pull you a little closer.

"They were flirting with you... Showing off his skills... Those other two touching you like that... You know you're mine!" Levi says. "Do I have to give them the same warnings as Kirstein?" He then asks.

"N-no! Please! They're just friends! They don't like me like that! They're just friends of mine!" You say. You think of Jean. He was just a friend of yours too once... But he does love you...

Levi sighs. "Okay, but if I see them treating you like that one more time, I will have to warn them like I had to warn horseface..." Levi lets go of your jacket again.

You stare at the ground and scratch your neck. Levi turns around and walk away. "Levi, wait...!" You say. Levi stops and looks at you. "Aren't you supposed to be with Erwin right now?" You ask.

"Tea break..." Levi says. Then he walks off like nothing ever happened. You walk back to the group, feeling a little uncomfortable. They are also awkwardly quiet. Mikasa is frowning.

"So... You're pretty close with Levi, huh?" She asks. You look at her, a little confused. "Do you think you can just walk up to him and tell him about something you don't like? So corporal Levi can fix things for you? Grow up and fix your own problems!" She yells.

You look at her with wide opened eyes. "Mikasa... W-what... Why would you say that...?" You ask.

"You have been ignoring us for weeks now! I thought we were friends! But you have just been hanging out with Levi! Just because he has a higher position than us? I bet you're just trying to get a higher position!" Mikasa says. She's clearly angry. "I thought you were different!" She then says.

"N-no... It's not like that...!" You say with a shaking voice. "A position closer to that of Levi is the last thing I'd want right now!" Your voice becomes louder. "You don't have the right to talk about me like that! You have no idea how I feel! You have no fucking idea what I have to deal with!" You yell.

The others are confused and shocked. Eren places a hand on Mikasa's shoulder. "Leave her alone... She is having a rough time... Thanks to Levi..." He says. Mikasa turns away her head.

"That's no excuse to ignore her friends..." Mikasa says.

"Do you think I want to ignore you?! I want to be with you, talk to you, laugh with you! But I simply can't! Levi won't allow me!" You yell. Tears well up in your eyes and your heart is aching. "Levi is killing me..." You whisper. Then you run away, back to the girl dorms. The others just stand there. They don't speak, and watch you running away in tears.