Chapter 15: Last wish

You go so fast, yet it seems like time has stopped. The titan comes closer at an abnormal speed, but it feels like hours before you'll actually reach him. Your eyes are fixed on the nape of the titan's neck. From the corner of your eye you can see Jean screaming for help. You lift your arms, getting ready to attack. But just as you want to cut open the neck, something flashes before you and the titan falls flat on it's face. "Someone killed it before I did...?" You think. You land hard on the ground and fall over. You cough a few times before looking up at the dead titan. "It could've been my first kill... Who killed it...?" You mumble.

You look at the other titans and see the same flash taking them all down. The flash lands on the ground, sofly like a feather. It's Levi. How could it have been anyone else? Levi looks at the titan you wanted to slay. There's a maniacal glance in his eyes and there's a sadistic smile upon his lips. You're confused for a second. But then you remember Jean. Quickly you get up and run to the dead titan's face.

"Jean! Jean are you alri-" Your voice gets cut off by the horrifying image before your eyes. Your legs start shaking, your stomache seems to turn and your head feels light. "Jean!" You scream. Jean's breathing heavily. His lower body is stuck between the titan's teeth. There's blood everywhere. "O-okay...! I'm gonna get you out! Alright?! Don't move!" You say. Other run towards you and help you. They cut open the titan's jaws. And with a little help you manage to pull Jean out of the titan's mouth.

It is truely horrible. His legs are messed up. Pieces of bone stick out and everything is covered in blood. Tears stream down your face. "Jean! Jean, say something!" You yell. You fall down on your knees next to Jean. Jean slowly opens his eyes. He smiles as he sees you.

"(Y/n)... Don't cry... You look more beautiful when you smile..." He whispers. You grab his jacket and bury your face in his chest.

"Don't say that... Idiot..." You say. Jean laughs softly and places one hand on your head. Then he coughs, a little blood comes out of his mouth. "Jean..." You lift up your head and look at Jean's face... "You're dying, aren't you...?" You ask. Your eyes are bloodshot from all the tears and your cheeks are wet.

Jean places his hand on your cheek and sighs. "I am..." He whispers. "S-so... Could you grant my last... Wish...?" He asks.

Tears fill your eyes again. The fact that Jean wants no one other than you to grant his last wish, is just too much. "Ofcourse... I'll do whatever you want...!" You say.

Jean looks at you with eyes slowly turning dull. "Smile... I want it to be the last thing I see... Because I think it's the most beautiful thing in the world... I haven't seen you smile in a long time..." Jean says. You close your eyes to prevent more tears from flowing. You want to smile, you want to do it for Jean. But smiling in a sitiation like this... That's impossible.

Nevertheless you gather the strength to turn the corners of your mouth up. You're smiling, for the first time in weeks. And you did it to grant Jean's last wish. Jean smiles too. "Thank you... (Y/n)..." He whispers. Then his eyes lose their shine and his body gets weak. Jean stares off into the distance. You place your ear on his chest and listen. Not a sound...

A big group of people gathered around you and Jean. They all saw how you cried, how you granted Jean's wish and how he slowly passed away. After a long and painfull silence you start to scream. The realisation is hard to deal with. Your friend and secret admirer died in front of your eyes. With his last breath he thanked you. This loss breaks your heart. It shattered into a million pieces. Your screams are filled with pain and sadness. After a while someone picks you up from your feet and drags you away from Jean's body. "No! Let me go! I need to stay with him! Please let me stay! I beg you! No! No please!" You scream. You keep looking at Jean untill you can't see him anymore behind the group of people around him. "Jean!" You scream one last time.

The person drags you far away from the crowd of people. "You come with me now..." The person says. "Just walk along and it'll all be fine..." No, it isn't going to be fine! Jean is dead! You struggle your way out of the person's grip and turn around. You look at him with bloodshot eyes. "Calm down..." The person says. His raven black hair looks a little messy and there's slowly vaporating blood on his clothes.

"He's dead, Levi! Are you happy now?" You yell. "Jean's dead! That one person you couldn't stand is dead! Is this what you wanted?!" You yell. Levi smiles.

"Yes, it is indeed just as I wanted... My actions were very well planned out and they led me to my goal. To eliminate that brat!" Levi says. Your eyes widen. Did you hear it wrong? Did Levi just say... "Yes, that's right..." Levi says, as if he can read your mind. "I killed Jean..." He then whispers.