Chapter 35: Last search

You're lying on the matress, curled up into a little ball. The cold days are over, but it's still chilly in the room. According to the weather you know that it's spring now. Which means that you've been here for about half a year already. You've become skinny and your body is covered in marks and scars. Sings of punishments Levi has given you when you wouldn't behave. Your emotions have been flushed away, and now you can't feel anything. Levi did it. He broke you. He left nothing of your normal self behind.

The door opens. Quickly you sit up straight and look at the dooropening. Levi enters and looks down on you. He smiles and wipes a few hairs out of his face. His hair has grown a lot ever since you got here. He ties it in a small ponytail behind his head, just so he gets recognised less fast. And it works, he looks so different than before. "My girl has been waiting for me... Like always!" He says. Then he kneels down and quickly kisses you. "I'm glad I didn't have to tie you up again. And that means a lot to me." He cups your face and smiles. "It means that I can trust you. And that you love me like I love you..." He places a small kiss on your forehead and stands up again.

Levi sits down at the table and writes something down in a little book. He's been doing this almost every day. You lie down again and stare blankly at the wall. The only sounds are the soft scribling of Levi's pen and your own breathing. You close your eyes for a while. But suddenly the peace is disturbed by loud knocking. You sit up straight in just a second and look at the door with widened eyes. "There are people here..." You whisper.

Levi stands up and grabs the doorknob. "Stay here... And stay hidden..." He whispers before leaving the room. You stay quiet, to hear what's going on at the frontdoor. It stays silent for a while. When suddenly multiple voices start yelling.

~A few days earlier~

"It is no use... As of today, we have been searching for them for four months already..." Erwin says. He rests his head on both hands, placed on his desk. "Following the tracks has led us to the north... But they could've gone anywhere..." He stands up and walks to the window. "If only it wouldn't have rained on that day... The tracks wouldn't have faded..." He sighs and sits down on the windowsil. Hanji, who is also in his office, looks at his sad expression.

"So what are we going to do now...?" She asks. "We can't give up! (Y/n) must be counting on us!" She says. Erwin closes his eyes and sighs once more.

"We have searched every district, city and village, even the whole underground..." He says. He opens his eyes again and stares at his desk. "If we don't find them soon... Levi wins..." He says. His eyes have a sad but serious look to them.

Hanji's eyes widen. "E-erwin...! You can't be serious!" She says. But Erwin's expression already tells her enough. "We have to save her...!" Hanji says in an attempt to convince Erwin to keep searching.

Erwin walks back to his desk. "I will start one last search for them..." He says softly. "One last time... Then it's over..." He is obviously troubled by his own decision. But putting almost all the survey corps' responsibilities aside for more than four months is not an option.

Little did the two know, that Mikasa was standing outside the door the whole time. She heard everything they said. Quickly she makes her way to the mess hall, where the others are. She sits down with them. "Guys, commander Erwin will start only one more search for (y/n)..." She says.

The others react shocked. "What?! He can't be serious!" Eren says. "Levi must be torturing her! He... He could've already killed her by now!" He stands up and almost start shouting hysericaly.

"Eren, no!" Christa says. Eren looks at her. "He loves her... In a sick and twisted way, I must admit... But he does love her!" She says. Everyone looks at her, not knowing what to say. "If you truly love someone, you couldn't possibly kill that person."

Reiner sighs. "Christa, this is Levi we're talking about. He killed Jean and could've done the same to you!" He says. "Do you really think he won't kill (y/n)?" He asks.

"No, she's right." Sasha says. "Think of the person you love most. The one dearest to you. Would you be able to kill them? No matter what they might have done to deserve it?" She asks. The others go silent. Never have they ever heard Sasha say something so wise.

"So we can assume that (y/n) is still alive..." Eren says. "But in what state is she? And most importantly... Where is she?"

"If this is really the last search, we have only one more chance of finding her." Mikasa says. The others start discussing, while Armin writes everything they say down on a piece of paper. He is, just like all the others, determined to find you.