Chapter 28: Safety

You're sitting in the stables. By pure luck you chose the stable of your own horse. You stroke it's nose and sigh. Even from here you could hear Levi yell. And after that also Erwin and Hanji. That meant Christa and Ymir succeeded in playing their parts. Now you just have to wait till someone says 'Freckles'.

Your horse pushes it's nose against your cheek. "Jean, don't! You silly animal!" You whisper. You have concidered changing your horse's name. Regarding the fact that Jean hated it to be called a horseface. But you've grown to like the name of your horse. So you won't change it.

Besides, horses are strong and friendly creatures. Just like Jean was. You sigh, you really miss Jean. You look up to the ceiling. "Are you up there Jean? Looking over us?" You whisper. "How's Marco doing?" Your voice breaks and tears stream down your face. "I miss you guys..." You whisper while wiping away your tears.

Then you hear voices. They're slowly getting louder. "Freckles!" They all yell. You smile and get up.

"See you soon, Jean..." You say as you embrace your horse. Then you leave the stables. You only now realise how much darker it's become. You see figures slowly getting closer. Their familiar voices sound like music to your ears.

As soon as your friends see you they run towards you. "(Y/n), what the hell was that? We had no idea what was going on!" Sasha says.

"You and Christa left, and right after that Levi followed you. We were so scared he'd be after you again." Mikasa says. She hugs you quickly and lets go again.

"Then Christa came back and yelled for Erwin, Mike and Hanji to come with her." Berthold says.

"We decided to follow them, but the only thing we saw was Mike carrying Levi away." Connie says.

"And then Christa told us to go outside and say 'Freckles' over and over again untill we'd find you." Eren adds to that.

They're all speaking quickly and seem to be a little stressed. You sign your friends to calm down and be quiet. "I can explain everything. But where are Christa and Ymir now?" You ask.

"They are with Hanji. Ymir got hurt. Christa went with her ofcourse." Reiner says. "(Y/n), don't tell me this all happened because of Levi..." Reiner looks really concerned.

You sigh. "We're going to find Ymir and Christa and then we will explain everything." You say. And with that you all walk inside. But as you reach Hanji's room, the door opens and Erwin walks out. All of you salute him.

"(Y/n), come with me." He says in a serious way. You look at your friends, they nod to tell you it's okay. Quickly you follow your commander while the others go inside Hanji's room.

You and Erwin reach his office. He lets you in and closes the door behind you. "Why have you brought me here, commander?" You ask.

"Levi..." He mumbles. He sits down in his chair and brushes though his blonde hair with one hand while sighing deeply. "Take a seat..." He then says softly. A little unsure you sit down in the chair facing his desk. "I don't know what to do about him... He's an obvious threat to everyone here, especially to you." Erwin says. "But without him we're lost... We can't lose our strongest soldier..." He says as he leans on his desk. "What do you think we should do?" Erwin suddenly asks.

Your eyes widen. "Are you asking me what to do about Levi...?" You ask carefully. Erwin looks at you with calm blue eyes and nods. "I... I don't know... The survey corps exists to free humanity from the titans, and Levi has brought us closer to that goal than ever before... So enthralling him from the corps is no option. But letting him roam around the headquarters freely makes me and all the other cadets feel unsafe... He locked me in his closet twice, he killed Jean, threatened to kill Christa and is probably planning on taking me away from here..."  You say. Erwin sits up straight and looks at you with big eyes when he hears your last few words. "A-at least, that's what Christa told me...!" You quickly say.

Erwin stands up and walks around his office nervously. "If he is really planning on doing that, we'll need to keep an close eye on you two at all times..." He mumbles as he marches around, making you nervous as well with the sound of his boots hitting the floor. "Mike and Nanaba could keep an eye on one of you. And Hanji and Moblit on the other..." Erwin mumbles as he grabs a few papers out of a drawer of his desk.

"Commander, do you think Levi will ever stop chasing me around...?" You ask. Erwin looks up at you,the expression on his face tells you that he is not positive about the answer. "I see..." You whisper.

Erwin grabs a pen and writes something down on a paper. "(Y/n) who would you like to keep an eye on you?" Erwin then asks.

You think a while about the answer. "I'd like Hanji and Moblit to watch over me. Mike is the strongest, he can easily stop Levi when he tries to do something. And Hanji and I already share a nice bond." You say.

Erwin nods and keeps writing down things on his paper. "There we go." He says when he finishes writing. "Do not worry. Everything will be fine." Erwin smiles at you and stacks the papers neatly on his desk. "You can go to your room now. You should take some good rest." He says.

You nod, salute him and walk out of his office. On your way to the girl dorms, you walk past a door that's not fully closed. There's light shining behind it. You hear a voice. An all too familiar one... "I will make her mine! I will! No one will get in between us!" The voice is soft but loud enough to send shivers down your spine. As the voice gets louder you start running to the dorms. Even when you're at the other side of the hallway you can still hear the voice yell...

"She will be mine! And no one else's!"