Chapter 24: Encounters

It has been a few days since you told your friends everything about Levi. It felt good to be able to tell them about it. Even so, it doesn't feel good at all that Levi is still allowed to roam freely around the building. Erwin and Hanji knew that keeping Levi locked up in his room wasn't a good idea. He'd probably get angy again and escape in some way... Letting him walk around seems better. But it certainly does not make you feel any better.

Nevertheless, life continues. Just the way it always has. You everyday life is filled with training, discussing strategies and waiting till the next expedition gets announced.  The horrors of last expedition are still troubling you. But how could they not? Everyone would be traumatized after seeing something like that. The image of Jean in his last moments haunts your dreams every night. And if it weren't for Levi, all of this shouldn't have been...

"Sasha, can you pass me that broom?" You ask. Shasha nods and gives you a broom that stood in the corner of the room. "Thanks." You mumble as you start to sweep the floor. It's that time again... Cleaning duties...

Sasha is replacing the sheets and pillows on the beds while you sweep and scrub the floor. "I hate cleaning. It makes me hungry..." Sasha says. She sighs and sits down on one of the beds.

"Is there anything that doesn't make you hungry?" You ask. It's hard not to laugh at Sasha's angry face. She puts her hands on her hips and frowns. "I'm sorry Sasha. But we'll never forget that first day of training!" You say. After letting out a small chuckle you whisper: "Potatogirl..."

"Why does everyone call me potatogirl?! I don't even like potatoes all that much! I prefer bread!" Sasha says. She sighs and stands up again.

"It's nothing to be ashamed of. We gave you that name to remind us of how bold and brave you are. Eating a potato in front of Keith Shadis... You're either a fool or really brave to do that!" You say. Sasha smiles. "By the way, we have silly nicknames for more people from our trainee years." You say.

After you and Sasha have finnished all your chores for today, you walk back to the supplycloset. As you put your bucket inside, you accidentally knock over another bucket which falls on the floor. It rolls out of the closet and you kneel down to grab it. But as you stand up, you meet the cold eyes of corporal Levi. He snuck up to you without you noticing. You yelp out of surprise and drop the bucket again. Quickly you take a few steps back and Sasha goes stand in front of you.

For a moment there's silence. The only sound is the loud and fast thumping of your own heart. Then Levi opens his mouth. "Done cleaning?" He asks. Sasha nods. "Tch, then what is this?" Levi moves two of his fingertips across the wall. A thin layer of dust get left behind on his fingers. "Clean it..." He whispers angrily.

"But our chore was to clean all the bedrooms in the girl dorms. The corridors should be cleaned by all the boys." Sasha says. Levi frowns.

"Fine, I'll let you go. Enjoy your free time..." He says. Then he turns around and walks away. You sigh, luckily he didn't say anything to you... But unfortunately... "(Y/n)! You should see Erwin today. You're still in my squad, remember? But I think your ungrateful ass doesn't want that." Levi says. Then he dissapears around a corner.

"Shit... Almost forgot..." You whisper. "Sasha, can you put our stuff back in the supplycloset? I really need to talk to commander Erwin." You say. Sasha nods. You smile and quickly make your way to Erwin's office.

When you get there you knock on the door and wait for an answer. "State your name and busines." A deep voice says.

"(Y/n) (l/n), I need to speak to you, sir." You say.

You hear the creaking sound of a wooden chair. And two big feet making their way to the door. The doorhandle moves and the door opens. "You have permission to enter." Erwin says. You walk in and sit down on a chair facing Erwin's desk. "Why do you need to speak to me?" Erwin asks. His deep voice sounds serious as ever, but his voice is warm and soft.

"Levi has assigned me to his squad, if you remember. I would like to make that undone and join my old squad." You say. Erwin's eyes widen for a moment.

"I had almost forgotten about that. Wait a second, I'll get the papers." He says. You watch him get up and walk to the big cupbord which uses up one whole wall of the office. "It's just some paperwork. We singn it and that's that..." Erwin says as he grabs a few papers out of a folder.

~A few minutes later~

You leave Erwin's office, feeling good about yourself. You're no longer in Levi's squad and you're back in your old one. As you turn to walk around a corner. Your eyes meet Levi's once again. "C-co-rp-p-oral L-le-v-vi!" You stutter as you quickly salute him.

"Brat..." Levi mutters. "I assume you just switched squads?" He asks. You nod carefully. Levi frowns. "Tch, ungrateful brat..." He says. "I gave you a place in the best squad possible, and you turn it down like that?" He says. You look at your feet. You feel a bit ashamed, but you know it's better to not be in the same squad as him. With a final 'tch' Levi walks along. You do the same.