Chapter 13: The expedition

"Everybody, get up! Today's the day! Get your asses out of bed!" The squadleaders walk through the dorms, waking everyone up. "Come on girls, beautysleep's over! Time to wake up and die!" The door flies open, causing everyone to jump out of bed with a half sleepy half surprised expression on their face. You rub your eyes and yawn.

"Today is the day..." You sigh. You stand up and change your clothes. The other girls in your room do the same. Putting on your harnesses and jackets and tying up your hair are normal day activties. But today it could be the last time you'd ever do it... You leave the room first, you head for the stables to get your horse. No breakfast today. There isn't a minute to loose.

When you take your horse out of the stables, you walk into Jean, Eren and Reiner. All of them on their way to get their hoses as well. You and Jean give each other a quick glance as you pass each other. "Good luck..." Jean whispers. You whispers the exact same words back.

Once out of the stables, you climb on your horse and sit in the saddle. "You ready buddy...?" You ask as you stroke the horse's mane. It shakes his head and stomps it's hoof on the ground. "Me neither..." You say. "I really hope my first expedition won't be my last..." You then whisper.

~A few minutes before the expedition starts~

Everyone is gathered in a long row of soldiers on horses, waiting for the gate to open. Your heart is pounding loudly in your chest. This is it, the moment of truth. You are scared, but yet excited. This is what you have been in training for, you knew from the very start that you wanted to join the survey corps, no matter the cost! And now it is finally time! The gate opens...

"Onward!" Erwin's voice is loud and everyone kicks their horse to make it move. Some of them stand up on their hind legs for a moment, but then they move forward with the rest of the soldiers. You near the gate. The shadow of wall Rose falls over you. You run through the wall. You are blinded by the bright light.

You open your eyes and see a big wide world stretched out in front of your eyes. "It's... It's beautiful..." You say. All your live you lived in one of the districts, surrounded by the walls and the dark shadows they cast. This was the first time you ever saw a landscape such like this. "Is this what the outside world looks like?" You say to yourself.

"Yeah, the outside world is just like this. But it feels way more 'free'. Right now we're still withing wall Maria." You squadleader says. "Now, go to your place in the formation!" She points in a certain direction. You nod and move your horse.

~After a while~

There's only the sound of the wind blowing over the open landscape and your horse's hooves hitting the dirt. You haven't sighted any titans yet. Then you see green smoke signals rising up high in the sky. You fire one too in the same direction and change course. "Does this mean there are titans closing in? It has to, righ?" You ask yourself. You decide not to think about it that much and keep going.

Soon enough you see people grouping by an abandoned group of farms. "We're making a stop here. Everyone stay close and don't wander off!" Your squadleader yells. You get off your horse when you reach the farms.

You let your horse eat some grass and look around to see if your friends are still alive. You can't see them and by every passing minute you feel more and more scared. "Dammit..." You whisper. You leave your horse and walk around the farms, looking for your friends. As your fear grows bigger and bigger, you start to run. "Please, just let me find at least one of them!" You think. You run around a corner and bump into someone. You fall backwards, but just before you hit the ground, the same person you bumped into catches you.

"(Y/n)!" The person pulls you up and embraces you. "Thank goodness you're alright." The person says. You look up and see black hair. This person is Levi. He looks you in the eyes. Behind his back you see Eren, he smiles when he sees you. You sigh. At least one of them survived up untill now. "What are you looking at?" Levi asks.

"Nothing." You say as normal as possible. Levi doesn't seem to believe you. But he shrugs and hugs you once more. You hug him back. It makes your stomache turn in disgust. "Just pretend like you mean it... Just pretend..." You think.

Then Levi lets you go and walks away. You look at him untill you can't see him anymore. Then you walk towards Eren. "Eren, have you seen any of our friends?" You ask.

"Yeah, they're all over there. No one has died so far." Eren says. You sigh and smile. Hearing this makes you feel so much better. The fear you felt just a moment ago has dissapeared within a second.

"You have no idea how reliefed I feel right now..." You whisper.

"Don't relax just yet. The expedition is far from over... Anything could happen..." Eren says softly as he walks away. You sigh and close your eyes. He's right...