Chapter 21: Freed

How long has it been? You don't know. It could have been only a few days, but it also could have been weeks. You can't remember how long you've been in the closet already. You do know that you've yelled for help so many times... But no one heard, no one came to safe you... "Don't they miss me? They must be wondering where I am, right?" You sometimes think. Every time you yell but no one comes, you lose a bit of hope. Every time you get a little more scared. What if they never find you? But you have to keep yelling for help. It is the only way to escape without being Levi's pet.

One day, you have very little hope left and want to give up. You're getting weaker and you feel like you could collapse any moment. "What's the point...? No one will come to safe me... No matter how much I yell..." You think. That thought makes tears well up in your eyes. "Still, I can't give up just yet..." You mutter. "Levi isn't in this room right now..." You think. You sit up straight and take a few deep breaths before yelling: "Help! Someone, help me! Anyone! Please help me!" You go silent again.

~A few minutes earlier~

"Erwin... Why not?! I mean... We could learn so much about them if we'd have one or more to run tests on!" Hanji walks besides Erwin through the wallways and tries to convince him to allow her to capture titans. "This could help us to fight them, Erwin! Can't you see it?!" She says. There's a weird glance in her eyes as she speaks about this subject.

"Hanji, we've talked about this before... And I'm staying with what I said before. No!" Erwin says a little irritated. "I will not put the lives of my men on the line, to capture a titan. Don't you know how dagerous a mission like that could be?" He asks.

Hanji shrugs. "But isn't there anything you want to learn about them...?" She asks. "Like... How can they survive without eating? And then why do they eat us? Or if they could be able to talk? Or what happens when you sepparate a titan's head from it's body without damaging the nape of the neck? Will the head grow a new body, or wil the body grow a new head? Or both!" She says. Her voice gets louder as she speaks. And the excitement is almost dripping off her face.

"Hanji, please... I have other things to worry about..." Erwin says.

"Like what?" Hanji asks. "What could be more important than titans?" She asks.

"The fact that this one girl has gone missing. (Y/n) (l/n), she just dissapeared after the expedition." Erwin says. He brushes his hand through his blonde hair. "How can someone just dissapear...?" He mutters.

Hanji stops walking and looks at Erwin with big eyes. "(Y/n)?" She asks. Erwin nods and stands still as well. "I treated her wounds after the expedition. I haven't seen her after that..." She says. She clenches her fists. "It must be Levi..." She then says. She starts running.

"Hanji, what are you talking about? Come back!" Erwin yells as Hanji runs away at full speed. He chases her and catches up to her. "Hanji, what does Levi have to do with this?" He asks.

"I'll explain later!" She says. She walks a bit further and stops when she reaches a certain door. Erwin follows her, confused but curious. Hanji raises her hand to knock. But before her hand hits the door a scream for help can be heared from inside the room.

"Help! Someone help me! Anyone! Please help me!" A voice shouts. It sounds muffled though. It came from Levi's room. Hanji opens the door and runs in with Erwin following her.

They look around the room. Nobody's here. "I knew I heard someone... That person sounded just like (y/n)..." Hanji whispers. She walks around the room, looking for the person who yelled. "Hello? Anyone in here?" She asks. It's silent for a moment. Then they hear a soft knock on the closetdoor.

"It came from the closet..." Erwin says. He walks over to it and tries to open it. "It's locked..." He mutters. Then he sees a key on a hook on the wall next to the closetdoor. He takes it and unlocks the door.

You're blinded by the sudden bright light and have to sheild your eyes. You can barely make out the silhouets of two persons. "A-am I safed...?" You think. The two persons don't say anything. It's really quiet for a moment.

"It really is her...!" One of the voices says. You look up and blink your eyes a few times. The person who just spoke reaches out their hand to you. You grab it and stand up. Slowly the two persons begin to take on a clear shape and your eyes get used to the lighting. "Are you allright?" The same person who helped you up asks.

"What were you doing in there?" The other person asks. You recognize these voices. And suddenly you remember.

"Commander Erwin! Hanji!" You say. Two pairs of concerned eyes look at you. "T-thank you... Thank you for saving me...!" You say. Your voice trembles and tears start to roll down your cheeks. Hanji wraps her arms around you and tries to calm you down. Erwin is just standing there.

Then someone walks in with angry steps. You all turn your heads to the door. "You two... Leave my room... Now...! Or I will have to make you..." Levi holds a knife and has a maniacal look in his eyes. "Are you deaf?! Leave us alone!" He yells.

"Hanji... Take (y/n) with you and bring her to some place safe... I'll make sure Levi won't follow you..." Erwin says as he stands in front of you and Hanji, protecting the two of you from Levi.