Chapter 36: The end?

Armin puts a big sheet of paper down on the desk, there's a map drawn on it. "Okay, I have narrowed it down." He says. "We have already searched all the districts, cities, villages and the underground. There's no way he's hiding in the king's castle. And it'd be too dangerous to stay in one of the districts of wall Maria." Armin says. He puts big red crosses through all the places he just named. "Moving from place to place would be dangerous too. People could easily recognize him." Armin puts down his red pen. "So the only possible explanation would be that Levi is hiding in an abandoned building, outside of a village or city. Somewhere within wall Rose or wall Sina." He proudly puts his hands on his hips. "It's more likely that he's hiding within wall Rose. There live too many people within wall Sina to hide himself safely."

Erwin and Hanji just look at him, speechless. Armin truly is a genious. He thought of every last detail. "This could really help us. We haven't searched the entire aria within wall Rose yet because it'd take a lot of time." Commander Erwin says. He lets his fingers slide over the paper, his eyes gleam for a moment.

"So when do we start?" Hanji asks. She slams her hand on the table as she says this, a little harder than she had anticipated. This makes Armin and Erwin look up in surprise. "We should start as soon as possible!" Hanji says.

Erwin nods. "We'll start in two days from now. I will tell the soldiers tonight." He says. He then turns to Armin. "Arlert, you have a truly genious mind. Thank you for your help." He says.

Armin smiles and leaves the room after saluting him and Hanji. Outside, your friends are waiting. "And...?" Connie asks. Everyone looks at Armin with hope shimmering in their eyes. Armin smiles and giggles softly.

"The search will start in two days from now." He says. The others almost start screaming of happines. Sasha and Christa both wrap their arms around Armin. Eren and Mikasa give each other a high five. And the others just smile and talk about finding you. All the comotion causes Erwin to check what's going on. Everyone goes silent as the door opens. Some awkward looks are exchanged. But then Erwin closes the door again, like nothing happened.

"Maybe we should go somewhere else..." Berthold says. The others agree.

~Three days later~

Levi leaves the room, leaving you behind in the room like he always does. You stay quiet, to hear what's going on at the frontdoor. It stays silent for a while. When suddenly multiple voices start yelling. There are loud bangs and other sudden noises. You quickly crawl back into a corner of the room. There are footsteps running around the house. They're comming up the stairs. Your heart beats faster. Levi comes running in, he pulls you up and presses your back against his stomache. Then more people come running through the door. Levi suddenly holds a knife against your throat.

"Don't you dare come any closer!" Levi yells. The other people stop, but keep their sword raised, ready to attack. "If you come any closer I will slit her throat open!" Levi yells. Your eyes widen as you see the people in front of you. They are your friends. Eren, Armin and Mikasa.

"Y-you've finally found me..." You mutter. You don't even notice the knife on your throat anymore. For the first time in weeks, you're able to feel emotions again. Your eyes tear up. "You came for me...!" You say a little louder.

"Quiet!" Levi shouts. You shut up as he puts the knife a little closer on your throat, you can feel the cold metal almost cutting your skin. "Can't you see what you're doing?! You pieces of fucking shit are poisoning her mind!" Levi yells. "She loved me! She finally realised that she should love me! And now you come along and ruin everything!" Levi says furiously.

The others stand frozen in place, not knowing what to do. Even though Christa told them that Levi couldn't kill you, they shouldn't take any risks. "Corporal, this has been going on for way too long..." Eren suddenly says. "(y/n) is closer to death than to being alive at this point. Don't you think it'd be better for her to live a free life? In which she can actually live...?" He carefully asks.

levi starts shaking. "Brat... How dare you say something like that...!" He says. "She's alive, isn't she? She's alive and happy...!" His voice is trembling and it sounds like he could burst out into tears at any moment. "Leave us alone, or I will kill us both...! That way we can be together without anyone ever comming inbetween us!" Levi yells.

Then silence fills the room once more. levi was clearly very serious about what he just said. All five of you remain silent. Awaiting an action, a sound, a miracle... Anything really.

How will this end?