FOUR

"Will you miss me? When there's nothing to see? Tell me, how did this come to be? And now there's no hope for you and me."

***

    OVER THE NEXT FEW WEEKS, Alice had learned that her mother wasn't very keen on talking about her father nor Lucius for that matter

    OVER THE NEXT FEW WEEKS, Alice had learned that her mother wasn't very keen on talking about her father nor Lucius for that matter. She would always say, "I could've gotten them out in time," so Alice never pushed on the topic.

    As per usual Narcissa and Gemma would bring up the idea of Draco and Alice joining the Dark Lord, to which Narcissa always replied, "he's just a boy." She never liked the idea of her son becoming involved in such a deadly association, but when the Dark Lord called to arrange a meeting with her son and Alice, Narcissa couldn't refuse.

Although, Draco and Alice were set to meet with the Dark Lord the next day, neither Narcissa or Gemma had been able to tell them. With both of their dads being gone, they didn't know if they could handle news they would take badly, so, the mothers figured they should wait to tell the children immediately before they had to go see him.

"Draco, come out here," Narcissa called as the blonde headed boy came into the study.

"I want to tell you that no matter what happens, you take care of Alice-"

Draco furrowed his eyebrows, "Mother, why are you telling me this?"

Narcissa frowned at her son, "All in good time."

It was the third of August, 1996, Alice's 16th birthday. Early that morning, they had given Alice a large breakfast to celebrate, hoping it would make up in some way for the rest of her day that was to occur.

Narcissa and Gemma sat in the corridor staring at the giant grandfather clock, hours later, waiting. It was half past five, which meant in another half an hour, their children would have to attend a meeting with the Dark Lord. On their own.

"Draco, Alice, come down here please." Gemma called, trying to stop her voice from cracking, she cleared her throat. "It's important."

Holding hands the two friends followed their mothers into the living room and sat on the couch opposite of the women.

Gemma sighed. "You are to meet with the Dark Lord in precisely 30 minutes."

Silence. It was as if Draco and Alice's hearts had stopped beating, and the world had come to a still.

Draco's grip on Alice's hand had tightened and he would've been afraid of hurting her if he wasn't so lost in his thoughts.

Clearing his throat Draco was the first to speak, "What?"

Narcissa and Gemma looked at each other frowning, "You are to meet with the Dark Lord, he requires something of you. We do not know what, we only know that it is important."

Alice quickly put a hand over her mouth, tears forming at her eyes.

"You're kidding? Mother, I-I can't. You don't understand, I don't want to become one of them." Alice was now crying and Draco had to hold her close to calm her down.

Gemma sat up straight, "It is not what I asked for, Alice. The Dark Lord requested to see you two, you should be grateful."

"You turned 16 today, Alice, think of this as a final step into maturity." Narcissa thought her comment would help, but as Alice continued to cry angry tears, she knew it hadn't.

Although, seeing her daughter upset her, Gemma knew that putting on her Death Eater facade was the best way to get through it.

Alice scoffed, hiding her face in Draco's neck. She wanted to retort with a rude comment, but Bellatrix Lestrange entering the room, made her courage to do so, diminish.

"Aw, young love," Draco's aunt cooed, "always knew they'd be together, didn't I, cissy?"

Turning her head upwards towards Draco, Alice and Draco furrowed their eyebrows. Alice shrugged, but held onto Draco tighter nonetheless.

"Could we, uh, be alone for a minute? Until we have to meet with, uh, You-Know-Who..."

Draco's question had almost been disregarded until Bellatrix winked at the boy, "Why of course, c'mon girls, leave 'em to it."

The two mothers followed the overdressed woman into the corridor, Draco and Alice let out breaths they didn't realize they were holding in.

It was silent in the room for several minutes, until Alice had started to cry again. Kneeling in front of the somber girl, Draco tried wiping the tears as they fell.

"Listen to me, Alice, whatever happens... Merlin knows what, but I'll always be there with you. I'll protect you– Please stop crying, Al, c'mon we'll be alright."

Trying to console the girl, her grip on his neck tightened before the tears began to stop. She nodded, looking into his eyes to get a sense of comfort.

"It's time to go," Narcissa interrupted the two as they nodded standing up, the mother quickly scurried back into the hall leaving the two alone.

Alice gave Draco a quick kiss on the cheek, grabbing his hand into her own.

"It'll be alright."