THIRTEEN

"But don't ever doubt this, my steadfast conviction. My love, you're the one I want to watch the ship go down with."

***

    THE ADOLESCENT COUPLE stood in the Room of Requirement, the only noise heard between them was the sound of a bird chirping

    Placing the bird in the cabinet, Alice quickly closed the door, before muttering the incantation Borgin had told them to use.

    They waited a few moments before Alice finally decided to use the incantation again, opening the cabinet door she gasped.

    "Oh, Draco," She pointed to the dead bird at the bottom of the cabinet sighing.

    Draco let out an exasperated groan, kicking the cabinet in anger. "We've been working on this for so long, why won't it work?"

    Alice sighed rubbing her hands down Draco's back to comfort him, "We have two and a half months until term ends, if we haven't fixed it within that time frame, then we worry."

    Draco nodded, taking Alice's hand in his own, leading her out of the Room of Requirement.

    They decided to take a detour before heading to Slughorn's party, attempting to fix the cabinet in a quick manner.

    "Ah, look sharp, Draco, you as well Ms. Rowle." Professor Slughorn greeted the couple, quickly taking a picture with them, before shooing them towards the large food table.

    Grabbing a Butterbeer for himself and Alice, Draco wrapped his arm around Alice's waist handing her the drink.

    He spotted Potter in the corner and began to sneer at him, "Look who's here." Draco nodded his head over towards Harry, Alice scrunching her nose in disgust.

    She used to be indifferent towards Harry, but after he almost killed Draco, she never wanted to look at him again.

Draco and Alice conversed with other students until they had parted ways when a Ravenclaw had asked Alice's opinion on some theory Draco didn't quite understand.

    He felt out of place and began to realize how smart Alice really was. He watched her talk about whatever it was she was talking about and he couldn't help, but feel uncomfortable.

    Draco Malfoy always thought highly of himself yet as he stood next to students that didn't need a date to be invited he couldn't help feeling so small.