FOURTEEN

"I know I'll fall in love with you, baby, and that's not what I wanna do. Ihope you won't ever lie to me, and if you do, I know I won't be your cry baby."

***

    ALICE SKIPPED BREAKFAST the next morning, not wanting to see Draco, she headed straight to potions to begin her lesson early

She was in the classroom for thirty minutes working on the assignment before students started filing in, she had moved to the other side of the room, beside Hermione Granger.

They discussed the proper way to make the potion that would be a large portion of their grade, helping each other along the way.

Neither Alice nor Draco made eye contact or talked throughout the whole day and people had started to realize something was wrong.

Sitting beside Holland and Cara at dinner, she had made them move from their usual seats to the end of the table closer towards the doors.

"Al, what's wrong?" Holland was the first to break the silence as Alice shook her head blinking back the tears.

For someone very intelligent, she felt very stupid. "Draco and I, we, I don't know. I think we broke up?"

Cara brought the fragile girl into a side hug as Holland clutched Alice's hand from across the table.

"He was just really mad that I didn't really talk to him at Slughorn's party, it wasn't like I did it on purpose, I just got so involved, you know?"

Holland and Cara nodded, knowing Draco tended to have temper tantrums.

"Whenever you guys get into an argument he's always at fault, and then you feel bad about it, it makes me so mad." Holland rolled her eyes, looking towards Draco who hadn't touched his food.

Alice sighed, she didn't know if it was technically all his fault.

"I might've said he was a waste of space, but I was just mad, I- I don't know what I was thinking."

Cara sighed, frowning, "Seems like you're both at fault here, then. Just, take some time for it to blow over, if you go running to him right now he's always going to think you're going to come back to him."

"You gotta keep 'em on his toes," Holland reassured her, making Alice laugh.

She knew she could never thank them enough for being such good friends.

-

Two weeks had gone by and it was now the end of May. Alice and Draco still had not said a word to each other and had luckily never crossed paths.

    Alice figured Draco was going to stop working on the vanishing cabinet with her, as she had been working on it by herself, for the past two weeks.

    Sitting on a stool in front of the vanishing cabinet, Alice drew our her wand as she heard someone entered the room. Standing up she kept her wand high, turning the corner she was relieved it was only Draco.

    "Why are you here?" Alice questioned him, putting her wand in her back pocket.

    He cleared his throat, putting a hand in his pocket, "I came to work on the vanishing cabinet, why else would I be here?"

    "I don't know, I mean, it is my task." She responded, snarky.

    "Well, I guess I better go, I just thought you'd want help." He began to walk away and as he reached the door, he almost barely heard Alice say, "Wait."

    "I'm sorry," She looked at the floor, she hated apologizing. "For everything. I don't think you're a waste of space and even if you were, you're the best waste of space to me."

    She laughed lightly cutting the tension as Draco smiled back at her.

    "I- I'm sorry," The words tasted sour in his mouth, "I was just upset and jealous that you weren't paying me any mind."

    Rushing towards Alice he placed his lips upon hers, something he had been dreaming about doing for the last two weeks.

    He wanted to go further, he had been thinking about it ever since he saw her half naked at Christmas, but he never knew how to go about it.

    Both were inexperienced and naive. With no alcohol in their systems it was hard for them to do anything more than kissing, without growing red.

    He bit her lip taking in the cherry flavored lip balm she had been wearing, running his tongue over hers. His hands gripped at her neck and waist, bringing her closer. His mouth soon found her neck as he began to bite and nip at her pale skin, leaving Alice breathless.

    She had never felt so good and her legs had started to shake from pleasure

    She had never felt so good and her legs had started to shake from pleasure. She shyly pulled away from Draco's touch, not wanting to go any further in the Room of Requirement of all places.

    "It's alright," Draco smiled running his hands down her arms. "I'd rather not do anything in here."

    Alice nodded taking Draco's hand in her own, it felt strange, like a part of her had come back.

    Over the past two weeks, alone, Alice had gone back to reading in the 'Restricted Section,' of the library. Learning about horcruxes, something only the Dark Lord himself had seemed to accomplish.

    She had thought of lots of different ways to crest one herself, maybe make part of her soul a part of a Draco's, but she always shook the thought off, it was ridiculous.

    Cara knew that when Alice felt alone she went and read dark things, but she didn't know any way to comfort her friend if she didn't oblige to spend time with her. So, she let her be.

    Alice hadn't thought about horcruxes again.