SIX

"Love, let me sleep tonight on your couch. And remember the smell of the fabric, of your simple city dress."

***

    STANDING OUTSIDE Borgin and Burke's, Draco's grip on Alice's hand remained

    STANDING OUTSIDE Borgin and Burke's, Draco's grip on Alice's hand remained. They had been given their tasks, Alice to fix the vanishing cabinet and Draco to kill Dumbledore, less than 24 hours ago.

    They would be boarding the train to Hogwarts in the morning, which was why their mothers and other Death Eaters had brought them to see the vanishing cabinet placed in Knockturn Alley.

    "Go on dear, open it up," Bellatrix took Alice's hand placing it on the intricate cabinet.

    Running her hands over the metal she heard a click as the door opened. It was really just a tall black box, but Voldemort had explained that it's twin was in the Room of Requirement, and by fixing it, it would allow the Death Eaters access to Hogwarts.

    As the elder Death Eaters talked amongst themselves Alice stood beside Draco, arms crossed. She didn't want to do what was asked of her, but if she didn't she would die.

    And Merlin knew she didn't want that to happen.

-

    Getting onto the train, Draco wrapped his arm around Alice's shoulder as they boarded into the corridor where most Slytherin's resided.

    Wolf whistles were heard as the two sat next to each other, opposite Holland and Blaise. Cara was seated with another lad, obviously flirting, so Alice didn't feel bad she didn't sit with her.

    "Oi, shut it, will you?" Draco turned to Crabbe and Goyle who laughed, Goyle winking at Alice as she rolled her eyes. He had always had a pathetic crush on her. "This is my girl."

    Although the two hadn't talked of being an "item," nor had they had time to figure out if they should go on a date, they had still grown inseparable. No matter if they were dating or not, they needed to be together for their own sanity.

    Alice looked at Draco, smiling, before turning to Holland and Blaise who were admiring the two. "So, how was your summer?"

    Holland scoffed, "Not as good as you two's, I suppose. God, you look so giddy together I could barf."

    Draco rolled his eyes, hugging Alice tighter to his own body, "Please don't, the suit wasn't cheap."

    Alice knew Holland knew that Draco and herself had become Death Eaters, her parents were at Borgin and Burke's for Merlin's sake, but Alice knew Holland would wait to question her until they were in private.

    "How long have you two been together for," Pansy Parkinson, Holland's sister, interrupted their conversation.

    Draco looked at the desperate girl, "We aren't together, Parkinson, just good mates."

    Pansy rose her eyebrows at Alice, "Thought so."

    Although Alice was best friends with Holland, Pansy had never taken a liking to Alice, primarily because Draco cared for Alice and not Pansy.

    Holland shooed her sister away, "Annoying that one is, luckily I stayed with Blaise for a few weeks."

    Alice looked to Blaise for confirmation, he shrugged.

    "Your parents let you stay with Zabini? That's a good joke, Holl." Alice laughed as Holland scrunched her eyebrows.

    "They did, I mean we stayed in separate rooms and all that, but I went up to Cardiff, I did."

    Alice nodded, not convinced, but changed the conversation.

    As the train ride went on, a black smoke appeared, blinding everyone's vision in the cart for a few moments.

    "Draco, sit down, it's just some first years pulling a prank." Alice explained as he nodded sitting beside her again.

    Holland's conversation with Alice continued about going on a double date to Hogsmeade with each other, while Draco seemed to notice a movement on the shelf above them.

    "I don't know if we'll have time for Hogsmeade, were so busy with... things." Alice explained looking towards Draco for help.

    "Yeah, I'm not even trying out for quidditch, there's just no time."

    Holland was confused, "Are you alright? Draco Malfoy not playing quidditch, I think you're a bit ill."

    "I'm fine," He assured the group, mainly Alice.

   The train soon pulled up to the station, everyone gathering their overhead bags, getting ready to leave.

    "What's wrong, Draco?" Alice asked as he stood in his place, he waved her off.

    "Go on without me, I'll meet you at the carriages."

    Waiting for several minutes by the carriages, Alice had finally spotted Draco walking towards her. She had already gotten her luggage checked and was waiting for Draco's to be checked as well.

    "What took you so long?" Alice asked as he walked towards her.

    Draco shrugged, coming up with a quick lie.

    "I thought I lost my ring so I looked around for a bit, realized it fell in my bag."

    Nodding skeptically, Alice took his hand walking over to their luggage.

    Holland and Blaise got bored of waiting and had left on a carriage with Pansy, Cara, Crabbe and Goyle.

    "What's this, a stick?" The security mused as they pulled out the walking stick that belonged to Draco's father. He took it to comfort him, in a way.

    "It's a walking cane, you twat." Draco argued with the man until Professor Snape finally vouched for Draco.

    Gemma and Narcissa had made the Unbreakable Vow with Snape, to protect their children from the Dark Lord. He obliged, but by no means cared.

    Walking up the pathway to the school, Draco and Alice looked at each other.

    Things would never be the same.