Gotta be Him

Gabbie stared down at her pencil case, the black permanent mark poised above it as she sussed out her plan of attack. She tapped the end of the marker against her lip in deep thought. Her pink pencil case was already completely graffitied but there was the tiniest bit of space left in the top right hand corner, and try as she might, she couldn’t decide what to fill it with.

Glancing up, she waited until her cranky French science teacher had turned to help one of the stupid boys in her class, and swung around it her blue plastic chair. Her friend, Cat, had her head down and was scribbling furiously on the sheet work they were meant to be doing. Gabbie rolled her eyes- Cat was so smart she didn’t even need to study to ace a test; why she was actually working was a mystery to Gabbie.

Gabbie coughed lightly and Cat’s head snapped up, her brown eyes landing on Gabbie. “I need your help.” Gabbie said quietly, glancing over her shoulder at the teacher.

Cat raised her eyebrow carefully and put her pen down on the table. Her eyes flicked over to the texta in Gabbie’s hand and she rolled her eyes. “With what exactly?” Cat knew exactly what Gabbie was going to say to her; or at least, what it would be centred around.

Gabbie smiled brightly, ignoring her friend’s all-knowing tone. “Should I write ‘Gabbie Styles’ or ‘I love 1D’?” She gestured to the tiny gap on the pencil case and raised her slim brow.

“Haven’t you already written both of those things all over that pencil case a million times?”

Gabbie laughed lightly, like she was disregarding the comment. “Yeah, but there is a tiny bit of space left! What do I put in there?!”

Gabbie was acting like whatever she put in the tiny gap would change her life forever. Cat snatched the texta and pencil case from Gabbie’s pale hands and gave another of her famous eye rolls. Cat tapped the end of the texta against the desk quickly before smiling and leaning over the pencil case. She quickly filled the space with her small, messy scrawl and sat back.

Reading it over, she smiled and nodded to herself- satisfied with what she’d written. She handed the pencil case back to Gabbie with a smug smile.

If found by One Direction please call 0423351448- All you other losers, don’t bother.

Gabbie laughed as she read the writing, smiling at her friend’s weird sense of humour. Suddenly she looked up, her mouth hanging open. “Hey!” She said shocked. “Why the hell are they calling you?!”

Cat shrugged, picking up her pen and letting her eyes run over the words she had already written down. “I want to meet them too.” She said before continuing where she left off with her science work.

*  *  *  *

Gabbie pulled the car to a stop outside the public toilets. Sighing, she and cat extracted themselves from the comfort of the air-conditioning and stepped into the sweltering heat and baking sun. They had to get out of their uniform!

Changing into a black singlet and denim shorts, Gabbie emerged from the dirty cubical pulling her honey coloured hair into a low pony tail, just like she always did. Staring at herself in the mirror, Gabbie couldn’t help but stare at the colour of her eyes- a deep stormy blue. She loved them, and thought they were her best feature.

Cat bumped her out of the way with her hip, and took her place in front of the mirror. She pulled her curly brown hair out of her classic plait and tossed it over her shoulder lightly, loving the feeling of it brushing against her bare back. She tugged at her black singlet and denim skirt, which she had cut herself. Satisfied, she picked up her school bag and followed Gabbie out of the gross toilets.