Chapter 1 - Louie The Counselor

So this is short chapter, just a little introduction. I promise it picks up in next chapters. It will be worth you while. Also! I have others stories up if you'd please check them out! I'd really appreciate it. So vote, comment, and fan! I want to know what you think. (:

_____________________________________________________________________________

I stood outside my counselor’s in a pensive mood. Should I knock? Nah. He knows me.

I opened the door and walked into Mr. Faulkner’s tidy office. He gave me a menacing glare from his desk. What was his problem? 

“Hello, Mr. Fuckner.” I missed pronounced his name on purpose. 

“How many times have I told you not to call me that, Melinda?”

“A few.” I answered. 

“And yet you still don’t learn.” The thin, colored man sighed.

“Nope.” I popped the p in the word as I sat in the seat opposite of his desk. I put my feet on his desk as well. I knew how much he hated that. My counselor was a neat freak. 

He shook his head at me and gave me three sheets of paper. 

They were three schedules. One was mine and the other two were my best friends’. Micah and Seth. 

You can probably assume that the counselor and I were pretty close. He’s been my counselor since I first started in freshman year. That’s why he had given me my schedule along with my best friends’. He was quite close with my two partners in crime as well. 

“Alright. Let’s see.” I got back to a descent position and set the three papers side by side on the desk to compare them. 

Out of five classes I had three with Seth and two with Micah. This. Is. Not. Good.  

“Ugh! Why do I have so many classes with them, Louie. Why do you have to do this to me?” I complained. Yes, I had just used his first name. It bothered him but I didn’t care. Louie was a cool name. 

“Because I know how much it bothers you.” Mr. Faulkner stated simply as he looked at his computer screen and typed on his keyboard. 

“This sucks.” I spat out. I had ADD. I couldn’t concentrate with my two best friends in the same room as me. It just didn’t function correctly. I was so pissed that I didn’t even give a second thought to the strange name on my schedule. 

“Where are the two devils anyway?” He asked. It was nice of him to notice that they weren’t here. It was a bit obvious anyway. 

“They’re in Atlanta.” For some reason, Mr. Faulkner started laughing hysterically. i always knew there was something wrong with him. I raised my eyebrow at him questioningly. 

“They didn’t take you! Even your best friends get sick of you!” He laughed. 

“Listen here, Louie. My best friends did want to take me. I just simply refused. They were begging me to go for an hour.” I protested. Every word I had said was true. 

“It's surprising you didn’t go.” He calmed down. 

“I just didn’t want to, Faulkner.” I told him. 

“Whatever. You have to get to class before you’re late on your first day.” He told me dismissively.  

“Alright.” I sighed and got up from my seat.  

Just as I was about to open the door, Mr. Faulkner spoke again.

“Melinda, make this year count.” He pleaded. 

“Oh, I will.” I responded with a double meaning I knew he had noticed. 

“What I mean is, try to behave. You know, get good grades.”  

“I’ll try, Louie.” I was about to leave when he made a sarcastic remark. 

“Yeah, you probably won’t.” I chuckled. 

“You’ve got that right chief. You know you love me.” I winked.

“Yeah, I got to say I do.” He shook his head and I giggled, tucking the sheets of papers in my duffle bag. 

Once I was out into the crowded hallway, I felt an overwhelming sense of dread.

My best friends weren’t going to be here for two weeks! This sucks.  

Who the heck am I going to trouble teachers with? Who am I going to goof around and be myself with? My two partners had gone on a mini adventure without me. It wasn’t like they hadn’t wanted me to go. They really did beg for about an hour. I just couldn’t go. I had to take care of my brother Landon. 

Oh well, its not like I don’t have any other friends. I have quite a few actually. I am very well loved among my peers. Ha-ha. I was chuckling at my own stupidity.  

I hadn’t noticed I kept walking in the wrong direction until I heard my friend Lani call out my name.

My head shot to the side. That was definitely going to cause whiplash. 

“You’re locker is over here, Melinda. It has been for the past three years anyway.” I chuckled at my friend and walked over to her. She pulled me into a hug. 

“That ADD getting a hold of you?” She joked. I punched her arm playfully.

“No. I was just thinking about how Micah and Seth aren’t going to be here for another two weeks. I feel empty inside.” I complained.  

“I was wondering why you weren’t with them... And the school’s definitely quiet since the trio hasn’t been formed.” I chuckled. Alana was definitely right. 

“Whatever. They’ll show up eventually. Then I’ll want to get rid of them.” My friend laughed. 

“You know you love them.” She sighed. 

“True.” 

“So who’s your first period?” She asked me. 

“Kendrick.” I replied. 

“Me too. Let’s go.”  

I started to walk with my friend to class, already feeling bored. I needed someone who was as hyper as me to keep me entertained. As much as I loved Lani, she frustrated me sometimes. She was way too calm and reserved. I was just the opposite. I needed my dumb brothers.

_____________________________________________________________________________

You'll meet the teacher next chapter. I promise! (: I love him already!