Chapter Fourteen: Dilemma

   Beaming with happiness, Phoebe entered the Cosmo building. She felt so satisfied with herself. News of her walkout from the wedding haven't reached the people. Well, not yet.

   She also managed to hide the fact that she's been sleeping with almost all of New York's elite. But one can only hide behind the closet for so long.....

   The weekly meeting went on without any hassle. The editors and contributors seemed to participate eagerly in the discussion, and they came up with the most stupendous ideas. Phoebe was so excited, and even offering to treat everyone for lunch. She haven't noticed of Melanie's frequent absences, of course. But, as we know, when someone excels, others became left in the shadows.

   After the meeting ended, Phoebe crossed paths with Ms. G, her former boss.

"You seem so proud if yourself, aren't you?" Ms. G said.

   Phoebe was a little surprised. Ms. G haven't talked to her since she became Cosmo's editor-in-chief.

"Cosmo had never been this successful before. Of course I'm happy."

"Well," Ms. G said in a grim manner, circling Phoebe while eyeing her criticizingly,"I suggest you not to be too full of yourself. The sales sky-rocketed because of the contributors' ideas, not yours. Come to think of it, all you do is attend to parties, make yourself known, and sleep your way to the top. You don't deserve to be in this position. Amateur."

   Ms. G returned to her position in front of Phoebe. She raised her thin eyebrow and crossed her arms.

"You know what, Ms. G? I think someone's jealous. Jealous of the fact that she had worked here all her life, but still wasn't chosen to become the EIC because of her low qualifications and ineffectiveness. Ms. Coles surely had seen that in you, that's why she chose a newbie to replace her. A newblood that successfully added spice and flavor to your otherwise falling magazine."

   Ms. G gasped.

"How dare you say that?! You get your money here, bitch. If it weren't for Cosmo--"

"If it weren't for my efforts, this piece of trash will be put in a dumpsite. And please, keep your cool, Ms. G. It's getting obvious that you're already nearing your menopausal stage. Wrinkles are already showing on your forehead," Phoebe said, smiling sarcastically.

"Why you--"

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got work to do."

   Phoebe headed for the elevator. But before entering, she turned around just to humiliate Ms. G even more. She just can't pass up an opportunity like this.

"Oh, and Ms. G, you might want to set up an appointment with your plastic surgeon. You so desperately need it to fix the damage on your face."

   Phoebe stepped in the elevator and sassily waved goodbye while mouthing a "ta-ta". Ms. G was so angry that she threw her bag and papers to Phoebe, only to hit the closing elevator door. People who saw them began whispering and concealing their smiles and chuckles.

To embarassed to face the staff, Ms. G headed for the other elevator to the basement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So she's resigning. It's official," Phoebe said, stating the obvious as she held a resignation letter in her hands.

"Ms. G said that she thinks Cosmo's not giving her enough attention and recognition for her works. And on top of that, she said she can't work for an, uh," Drake trailed off.