Chapter Eighteen: Stuck With Each Other

   It was about 8:00 p.m. when they got to the nearest hotel. Yes, a hotel. The nearest motels were already jam-packed, to their surprised. Alex still carried Phoebe towards the desk and approached the hotel clerk.

"Hey," Phoebe said,"It's fine. I think I can manage."

"Your ankle is swollen."

"But--"

   Alex ignored her protests.

"Good evening, sir. Room for two?" the clerk asked with a welcoming smile.

"I'm afraid not. Two single-bed rooms, please."

   The clerk cocked his brow and looked back from Alex to Phoebe to Alex with a confused expression.

"Let me check on that sir," the clerk said. "Sorry, sir. All but one of the single-bed rooms have already been occupied."

"Are you sure?" Phoebe asked. She isn't comfortable with the idea of sleeping on the same bed with a person she'd just known for two hours. But, with a handsome hero like Alex, she might reconsider....

"Certai ma'am."

"How much will a two-bed room

cost?" Alex asked.

"A hundred and fifty dollars at least. Depending on the class."

   Alex mouthed a 'wow'. A hundred and fifty dollars for one night is really expensive, especially now that he's broke. And not to mention, he already paid for their food and gas. He heard Phoebe groan.

"I didn't bring enough cash," she said.

   Alex smiled at her.

"It's fine. All in the house." He looked back to the clerk."And the only one-bed room? How much does that cost?"

"Eighty dollars, sir."

   Phoebe was getting heavier and heavier. She began curling in his arms. She was obviously exhausted. Tiredness was already creeping up his body as well.

"We'll take that."

"All right, sir." The clerk rang for the bellboy to accompany them to their room.

   Alex looked at Phoebe again and found her sleeping. Involuntarily, a smile formed on his face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   Their room was located on the third floor. Alex slowly laid Phoebe down on the bed as to avoid waking her up. He pulled the covers over her to keep her warm.

   Warm, he thought. I could keep her warm.

   He shooked all the indecent thoughts forming in his mind. No matter how much he tried, he just can't take his eyes off and notice Phoebe's golden skin. Phoebe's feminine silhouette kept attracting his attention. Her attire (sando and shorts) is not helping either.

   He diverted his thoughts on fixing the sofa. This is where he decided to sleep, mainly to avoid unnecessary thoughts. He wouldn't want to complicate things. Not now, atleast. Time will come.

   Alex took his shirt off and remained with his shorts to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   Phoebe waked up at around 11 a.m. She had slept like dead. Her eyes immediately shut at the first sight of sunlight. Alex was nowhere to be found.

    Maybe he left, she thought. Phoebe reached for her wallet. The contents weren't touched. Her eyes wandered around the room. It is evident that her mood had changed and lightened up. She gingerly sat up and swung her legs off the bed. Just then, she caught sight of a pair of pants and shirt. It was Alex's.

   He didn't leave after all.

   Sound of water pouring caught her attention. She stood up and absent-mindedly went to the bathroom. Her hands were about to touch the knob when the door opened and her eyes landed on 6-pack abs. Her jaw dropped.

"Good morning," Alex greeted. The room was suddenly filled by Alex's masculine and clean-shave scent. Phoebe blinked twice before moving her eyes up to his chest, his neck, his lips, his eyes.

"Uh, 'morning?" Phoebe reluctantly said.

   Light shone on Alex's sculpted body, emphasizing his amazing architecture. A towel hung around his waist was his only clothing. He held it with his left hand to prevent it from falling. His face looked fresh. Manly, but fresh.

   Alex smiled. Damn that smile!

"Oh, are you going to use the bathroom? There's a spare towel there and soap and shampoo."

"Uh, actually......"

   Alex cocked his eyebrows.

"A-actually," Phoebe stammered. "Yes! I'm indeed about to take a bath. So... yeah. That's what I'm going to do, take a bath..."

"Great. I'll get us breakfast. It'll be a long drive so you have to store energy. If you need anything, just call me."

"I sure will."