Chapter Seventeen: Carry You

   It was early morning. People were busy walking down the streets. Others were caught up in their works. Some were idling around.

   Phoebe was one of them. She told the management that she'll take a whole week off, to take a break. With no precise destination, she wandered around; her only companions were her SLR McLaren and Pretty, her pooch.

   She drove for hours, not even bothering to remember her route, just taking sudden turns and letting her wheels lead her anywhere.

   The sun was about to set when she found herself near a cliff and the sea. She parked and got off her car to savor the view. She had never seen such beauty for a very long period of time. It's funny how people take these things for granted, spending their whole lives looking for beauty and happiness, when in fact, wonders were always there. They just need to stop and take a breath to see it all.

   Phoebe stayed there, on her car's hood, staring blankly at the space in front of her. Hot liquid streamed down her face. She didn't even bother wiping her tears away. For once, she let herself become vulnerable. For once, she'll allow herself to feel. For once, she'll let loose all her welled in grief and anger. Yes. She's angry of herself. She's angry because she was too damn weak to acknowledge the fact that she's still the same jealous and insecure girl that she was eight years ago. She was so weak that she chose strangers over her loved ones. She was so weak that she had to put up a show and wear a mask just so people would believe she's strong, when in fact, she's even more fed up of life than others.

   Weak, jealous, insecure, liar, selfish, home-wrecker, naïve, ambitious, low-life, insect.......

   Those were the voices that kept on echoing in her brain.

   You destroyed Katherine's wedding....

   You pushed Melanie away.......

   You wasted Carmin's friendship......

   Clyde suffered....

   Steve left you because you're weak....

   Weak. Weak. Weak!

   She covered her ears to make it stop. She caught sight of the sun setting in the water. A new voice began to speak.

   Come. This will soon just become a small nightmare. Follow me.

   Without her noticing, she began to walk towards the cliff, following the voice. She stopped abruptly when she felt the cold breeze. She looked down and saw sharp, protruding rocks at the bottom. Then she looked at the setting sun. It looked relaxing.

   Yes, yes. Just one jump, and it'll soon be over. Your problems will be gone. Come, the sweet, calming voice told Phoebe.

   And jump, Phoebe did. But at the last minute, strong arms encircled her waist and pulled her back up. She rolled back over to the ground, arms still possessing her.

   Phoebe blinked back her tears and turned her head to see who pulled her. She came face to face with her guardian angel. A savior so handsome Phoebe was quite sure she he couldn't be real. He was panting heavily, and his arms were still wrapped around her in a protective embrace. They stared at each other for quite some time, before the savior spoke.

"You all right?" he asked. His voice sounded husky, but concerned as well.

   Phoebe nodded. He helped Phoebe up. Phoebe dusted herself and inspected her scratches.

Passion and Ambitionsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें