Chapter Twenty-Two: Crazy Little Thing Called Love

   A huge pile of clothes occupied Phoebe's bed. She used all her energy trying on every piece of clothing she could find in her walk in closet. Heels and wedges flooded the floor, making the mountain of clothes look like an island on a sea of shoes.

   Phoebe slumped on the sofa, staring at all the mess she made. Mess, that's the exact word that would describe her state of mind.

   She shut herself from others. Shut her heart out and turned her emotions off after all that happened. But Alex managed to bring the life back to her. Some how, she doesn't know.

   He had witnessed her break down in her worst. He had seen her vulnerable, and Phoebe doesn't like that. Showing others any sign of weakness is a severe error, especially to boys. Once they see you cry, they'll treat you like some weak and soft being. That's not good.

   And now, she's there, completely bewildered by all the things that's happening.

   She can't decide what to wear, and she's not even going on a date! Alex's reminder to wear something nice is not helping at all. It makes her even more nervous.

   Nervous. She had not felt these butterflies in her stomach for quite a long time now. Last time she checked, she felt clammy hands during her promotion.

   And now, she's acting like a cheezy teenager who never had a first kiss before. Like someone who's going to see a boy. For the very first time.

   She glanced at the clock.

   2:00 p.m.

   Phoebe let out a loud groan and palmed her face.

"I'm screwed," she groaned.

   Her phone suddenly beeped.

   30 mins, S&S. Wear something nce ;-)

   S&S? she said. Yeah, right, smart and sexy...

   Just then, she caught sight of a red flowy dress. She rushed and pounced the dress. She wandered around the room and spotted a pair of gold sparkly heels.

   She immediately got dressed and curled her hair into soft waves that draped near her waist. She kept her makeup light and sweet. Her reflection at the mirror looked satisfied.

   The doorbell rang.

   It was Alex.

   Phoebe sighed.

"This is it," she said and braced herself.

   She walked to the door, opened it, and smiled the sweetest smile the world had ever witnessed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   Alex chose to wear white striped sleeves and brown pants. His brown wavy hair combed in handsome perfection.

   It took him about an hour to get prepared. He knows that his purpose is to.... but suddenly, he wanted to break it, break the chains. He doesn't know why and how it came to be... It

   He rang the doorbell and prepared the flowers behind his back.

   The door opened, and there emerged a creature so divine, he can't take his eyes off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   Phoebe flashed a smile as her eyes landed on Alex's handsome form. Her breath caught in her throat.

   How could he be so painfully handsome?

   She failed to notice that both of them mirrored the same expression.

"You  look... beautiful," Alex said, not taking his eyes off Phoebe.

"Well, you did tell me to wear something nice."

   They stood there for a moment, before Phoebe mustered enough courage to break the ice.

"So... are we going to stand here all day? Or are we going to that place you picked?"

"Oh, right."

   Alex placed his arms for Phoebe to intertwine hers.

"Shall we, milady?" he asked.

"We shall."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I don't understand why you have to do this to me," Phoebe said, feeling the interiors of the car with her hands.

"So that it would be more of a surprise, and so that you won't know the way. And you'll need my assistance whenever you want to get back."

"There's Google Maps, honey."

"You don't know the name of the place."

"I would, eventually."

"You'll still need my company to enjoy."

"I just, it's just, I don't like feeling blind. This blindfold is really uncomfortable," she whined.

   Alex sped up and turned his head from the road to Phoebe.

"Why, is it too tight?"

"No, just uncomfortable."

   Alex changed his expression from concerned to a warm smile.

"I'll make sure the hassle's worth it."

   The rest of the car ride went on without any hitch. Phoebe felt the engine die and Alex unbuckling his seatbelt.

"We're here," he said.

"Great! Can I take this thing off me now?"

"Wait," Alex held Phoebe's hand to stop her from removing the blindfold. He leaned closer to unlock Phoebe's seatbelt and whispered. "I'm afraid you'll have to stay this way until I say so."

   Phoebe felt Alex's warm breath on her neck. She's quite sure she blushed. Heck, she felt a tingle in her skin.

"Now," he continued. "Let me guide you out."

   Alex took good care of her and guided her, leading her to sharp twists and turns. She felt him stop for a while, as if checking something. They went to a couple of staircases before reaching an open space. Phoebe can sense it was an open space because of the slight wind blowing lightly on her clothes.

"On the count of three..." Alex whispered real close before taking a few steps back. "One... two... three."